Gourami Skinny

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

HeilBond

Reaction score
Hello,
I bought 2 gouramis from different stores,both were same size one gray the other gold/yellow. Have them for a month now.They were fine ,even were dancing with eachother,making bubble nests,but today I noticed that the gray one was big,healthy looking ,you could really tell that it had grown. On the other hand,the yellow/gold looks unhealthy,very skinny,small not grown and even (in my opinion) shrunken! Today I noticed that everyone in the tank (Pearl gourami,macropodus,the gray gourami) is chasing him around when in sight! I make sure to always feed the golden one ,but he is still very small! I keep them in a 60l tank with lots of live plants to separate the territories! Could this be a parasite? How can I treat it? Help!

How many Gourami do you have in the 60L?
Are you watching at feeding time and making sure he's not being out competed?
If he is feeding and not putting on weight then it would sound to me like an internal parasite, like worms in dogs and cats.
I'll leave it to somebody more experienced on something that could be used to treat it, I've never had to.

probably not eating enough and getting bullied, wait during feeding and if it is that then you can feed both at separate ends of the tank, or get another tank for the fish until it is healthy again then add into tank and see how it goes.
it also could be an internal parasite/bacteria etc problem. go to the store and buy a liquid med (its not metalflex, but petaflex? i forget the name, but should be found near it.. has worked for me) that is for internal problems for the fish, then you can soak the food with the medication (if you have pellets and your fish is eating) and in a few days you should see a difference.

I keep 3 gouramis and 1 macropodus  in this 60l tank (the skinny one is the smallest). When I fed them, he got 2 flakes,but today I put him in a little 5 l tank for feeding time and gave him quite a lot of Tetramin flakes. He was taking his/hers time and sort of ...processing the food slowly before moving on to the next bit.After he lost interest in the food, I took him out and put him back in the 60l tank.
Should I try just doing that for a few days before moving on to meds?
If I get the medicine,can I soak flakes in it or is it only a pellet kind of  thing?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back