Gourami - My Hair Algae Solution Or Aggressive Neighbor?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

SirGoodFish

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am setting up a 6.6 gallon aquarium which will ultimately be home to a few killifish (Fundulopanchax gardneri gardneri lafia goldform). As I fishlessly cycle the aquarium I notice that it is really growing plentiful hair algae. It is right near a window so it doesn't surprise me. I can't really move it since there is only one spot that is out of the way for the tank.

Anyway, why not make use of the algae? I started researching and wondered if I could place 1 gourami in there. Since they're labyrinth fish I figured they might be fine in small quarters. The Dwarf Gourami reportedly likes eating hair algae and reportedly grows just to 2 inches. The Sparkling Gourami is even smaller - is it a better choice?

Anyway, I think either would be great fun. However, would a single gourami be too aggresive with the other fish? Is there anything else I should consider?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Sir Good Fish

I would say that tank is too small for a DG. A sparkling would work though.

I would say that tank is too small for a DG. A sparkling would work though.

Thank you for your note. Can you tell me more? For example, is the Sparkling Gourami peaceful? And in your experience does it eat green hair algae? Also I am led to believe that a Sparkling Gourami is happy when kept as the only one of its kind. Is that true?

Oh - and I found these links that seems to confirm that a small tank size is OK for the Sparkling Gourami:
http://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/feb09/sparkling-gourami.htm
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/profiles/sparkling-gourami/

Since they're labyrinth fish I figured they might be fine in small quarters. The Dwarf Gourami reportedly likes eating hair algae and reportedly grows just to 2 inches. The Sparkling Gourami is even smaller - is it a better choice?
Yeah as mentioned probs a little small for dwarf gourami, and my DG is around 4inches long, and the females around 3. Although i'm not sure if i have had some freek tap water at one point as all my oldest fish are pretty big... bigger than generally published max sized, eg platy nearly 5inch, neons 2inch i had some zebra danios from the same batch which i have since sold to restock that where 3inch....

What about some dwarf otto catfish?

Thanks for all the great comments. Looks like a Dwarf Gourami is out. And I am open to adding a Sparkling Gourami.

But does the Sparkling Gourami eat Hair Algae? Thoughts?

Thanks for all the great comments. Looks like a Dwarf Gourami is out. And I am open to adding a Sparkling Gourami.

But does the Sparkling Gourami eat Hair Algae? Thoughts?
I have a honey gourami and he eats hair algea but not enough to make a noticeable diffrence except from more poo on the sand.

By any chance can anyone confirm that a Sparkling Gourami would be able to eat hair algae? So far it remains unconfirmed.

I've never seen gouramis make a huge difference in terms of hair algae. I'd skip buying the gourami and invest in a brush to scrub it off instead.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back