Gourami mouth area, cant find any info.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

samsss

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a dwarf gourami with a very small tear dropped mass on the left side of his face. No red, no rot or fungus? just developed over night. I have a hospital tank cycling with stability and media from my other tank, and should be safe to put him in tomorrow or the next day.

Will try to snap a photo tomorrow.

any idea of what this could be,

thank you.

If the image is too big for the website, set your camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. Check them on your pc and find a couple that clearly show the problem. After that, reset the camera's resolution to its normal setting otherwise all your pictures will be smaller.

Thank you. Ok my camera sucks. I recently had him out, netted him and took a closer look, the tear drop appeared to be slime. he has a little red mark next to the mouth, this is it, the best i could get. the slime came off with small forceps, it was like a little bit of gunk.

Im pretty new to the hobby , I am well versed in the nitrogen cycle. I have his tank next to the large tank set up, new filter however. I am dosing with seachem stability and will be adding prime. Took two pourous rocks from my established tank and added them, sand bottom and a sword i grew recently. Water 76 degrees, I have seachem paraguard ready. If it gets worse i plan to put him in here, not ideal, but i have done live cycles before, does this pose more of a risk?

The little white blip is what was hanging off, when you take him out of water it becomes very hard to see the small red area.

Attachments

• 0-25.jpg
    0-25.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 230
  • 0-24.jpg
    0-24.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
hard to tell but i tried to capture the red spot, he's being a recluse after normally spitting and swimming around like a maniac. He eats well, just not happy about being netted and examined.

Attachments

• 0-26.jpg
    0-26.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 233
last try, not showing up to well.

Attachments

• 0-27.jpg
    0-27.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 237
It's probably just a small cut/ scratch and is being covered by excess mucous to help it heal. Monitor it over the next week and if it gets worse, post another picture of it.

In the mean time, do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week to help dilute nutrients and disease organisms. This will help healing and reduce the chance of an infection.

---------------------
If you have an established filter, you can take some of the filter material from that and add it to the new filter for an instant cycled tank.

---------------------
Do not add medications unless you know what the problem is. Any chemicals that get added to an aquarium get absorbed by the fish and can harm them.

The following link has information about what to do if your fish gets sick. It's long and boring but worth knowing.
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-to-do-if-your-fish-gets-sick.450268/

2.JPG
1.JPG

hi all,

i did a google search and it brought me here because i am having a very similar, if not, the exact same issue. signed up today - first post

i hope the shots that ive got here are clear enough.

please let me know and i can take more if required.

about a week ago my fish was hanging around in the top corner of the tank on its own enough for me to notice it and think that it was odd, but i moved on. the next day, i was looking thru my tank and spotted the bump on its face.

i had a general thought that this fish and another d. gourami might have had a run in, and the bump was the result, no big deal - it will heal! i posted on a aquarium help forum on reddit, on 24/9/19 and a user there agreed it might be a little bit of a scuffle between 2 fish.

but the bump has not done up or down over that week. the fish is full of life, actively comes up for food, chases and gets chased around the tank by the other d. gourami.

any further help would be amazing! i really wana help my poor friend.

huge thanks in advance folks!

Hi Gee_Es and welcome to the forum :)

Normally we prefer it if you can start a new thread for your own fish, however since you are here. Your fish appears to have a bump on the side of the mouth, which could be the start of an ulcer or a tumour.
How long has the fish had the bump for?

Dwarf gouramis (and other gouramis and Bettas) can carry the Iridovirus, which is triggered by stress and causes sores to appear on the fish. There is no cure for the Iridovirus but sometimes the fish can fight off the virus if they are kept in ideal conditions and fed well with a variety of food.

This might be the start of the Iridovirus or it could be just a lump.

--------------------------
Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for 2 weeks. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter media/ materials in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. However, do not clean the filter if it is less than 6 weeks old because you can upset the filter bacteria that are developing in it.

Keep the water around 26-28C (79-82F) and feed the fish a varied diet.

Monitor the fish and if the bump uptures or goes red, then post another picture.

hi colin_t

thanks for the advice you gave me a while ago. im not sure what happened to the thank you reply i typed up - didn't seem to post properly, so thanks for the help!!

i've got a small spare tank with no gravel in it, and i've left the fish in there since reading ur post and followed the instructions.

i noticed that there was something trailing from the wound this morning (almost like fish waste would from the fish body) when i went to go and look at the fish. whatever that was wiped off very easily. i took him out of the water for a few moments to take the pictures i've included.

the wound looks like it's getting worse or at least a deeper red to me.

Attachments

• aaIMG_3585.JPG
    aaIMG_3585.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 206

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back