Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Gourami mouth area, cant find any info.

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish Emergencies' started by samsss, Apr 24, 2019.

1. samsss

samsss New Member

Hello,

I have a dwarf gourami with a very small tear dropped mass on the left side of his face. No red, no rot or fungus? just developed over night. I have a hospital tank cycling with stability and media from my other tank, and should be safe to put him in tomorrow or the next day.

Will try to snap a photo tomorrow.

any idea of what this could be,

thank you.

2. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

cant comment until I see a picture.

3. samsss

samsss New Member

I will snap one when I get home, thank you. hospital tank should be ready very soon.

4. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

If the image is too big for the website, set your camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. Check them on your pc and find a couple that clearly show the problem. After that, reset the camera's resolution to its normal setting otherwise all your pictures will be smaller.

5. samsss

samsss New Member

Thank you. Ok my camera sucks. I recently had him out, netted him and took a closer look, the tear drop appeared to be slime. he has a little red mark next to the mouth, this is it, the best i could get. the slime came off with small forceps, it was like a little bit of gunk.

Im pretty new to the hobby , I am well versed in the nitrogen cycle. I have his tank next to the large tank set up, new filter however. I am dosing with seachem stability and will be adding prime. Took two pourous rocks from my established tank and added them, sand bottom and a sword i grew recently. Water 76 degrees, I have seachem paraguard ready. If it gets worse i plan to put him in here, not ideal, but i have done live cycles before, does this pose more of a risk?

The little white blip is what was hanging off, when you take him out of water it becomes very hard to see the small red area.

Attached Files:

#5 samsss, Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  6. samsss

samsss New Member

hard to tell but i tried to capture the red spot, he's being a recluse after normally spitting and swimming around like a maniac. He eats well, just not happy about being netted and examined.

Attached Files:

7. samsss

samsss New Member

last try, not showing up to well.

Attached Files:

8. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

It's probably just a small cut/ scratch and is being covered by excess mucous to help it heal. Monitor it over the next week and if it gets worse, post another picture of it.

In the mean time, do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week to help dilute nutrients and disease organisms. This will help healing and reduce the chance of an infection.

---------------------
    If you have an established filter, you can take some of the filter material from that and add it to the new filter for an instant cycled tank.

---------------------
    Do not add medications unless you know what the problem is. Any chemicals that get added to an aquarium get absorbed by the fish and can harm them.

The following link has information about what to do if your fish gets sick. It's long and boring but worth knowing.
    http://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-to-do-if-your-fish-gets-sick.450268/