Gourami Is Weak/swimming Sideways And Upside Down

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

LockeUp

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I have a 29 gallon tank with a couple Gourami's in with some other fish. The other day I noticed one Gourami swimming weird but I shrugged it off thinking it was just enjoying swimming. But I have been watching it do the same thing for about a week now. It swims sideways and upside down like it doesn't have much control over where it goes. It will swim by the pump and get caught in the current and go with it for a second until he can get control. His fins, antennas, and scales look fine and I don't see any bulge in his body that might point to an infection. Any thoughts? Here are a couple pictures. Not the best quality but it will do:

IMAG0868.jpg

IMAG0872.jpg

IMAG0873.jpg

When was the last time you did a waterchange?

Have you tested your water parameters recently? If so, what readings did you get?

Are any other fish acting strangely in the tank?

This might help identify a problem :)

When was the last time you did a waterchange?

Have you tested your water parameters recently? If so, what readings did you get?

Are any other fish acting strangely in the tank?

This might help identify a problem :)

Hardness, PH, and nitrIte levels are fine. nitrAte levels are a tad high but not by much. We did around a 75% water change about 3 days ago. We moved to a new place and since the nitrAte levels were high anyway, we did a decent water change.
The only other fish doing weird things are the Platy's. I think one is pregnant and two of the other ones won't leave her alone. They are costantly grouped around her and chasing her. No biting I can tell but a bit odd non-the-less.

what about ammonia?
What are the actual figures for your tests?

There is something called Gourami disease, but that usually is fatal within a couple of days.

Don't have the ammonia #'s but I think they are ok. I'll have to test them later or tomorrow. The other numbers are:
GH: 60-120
KH: 80-120
pH: 6.5
NO2: 0
NO3: 40

they seem okay, nitrates are a lil bit high but they aren't anything to run around like a headless chicken about.

Why dont you test for ammonia? Ammonia poisoning is a main problem and is the first thing I and many others on this forum test for when there's a problem.

they seem okay, nitrates are a lil bit high but they aren't anything to run around like a headless chicken about.

Why dont you test for ammonia? Ammonia poisoning is a main problem and is the first thing I and many others on this forum test for when there's a problem.

I'll run to the store and get a test for that today. I'll let you know if anything changes! Thanks! :)

If the fish is swimming upside down and clearly trying to swim the right way up, then it sounds a lot like swim bladder disease.
However, I have a Moonlight Gourami which does swim in an exceptionally different way to all my other fish. By this, I mean that he is often eating food from the bottom of the tank or nibbling on plants whilst swimming completely vertical, with his head downwards and his tail to the surface. If this is similar to what you're describing then I don't think it's anything to worry about. :good:

It's like he is just having a balance issue. When he gets swept by the current he will easily swim to a better area of the tank but he will still float around upside down like he doesn't have control of it. The ammonia level was ideal and the rest of the tests were still the same today.

How long have you had the fish? Are the rest of the fish in tank acting like normal? If so this could be a swim bladder problem fish use there swim bladder to control there movement in the water. It not normally a good thing and i don’t known of a cure! Sorry mate

Had the fish for 5 or 6 months. Fed him a pea the other night but it didn't seem to help. Doesn't seem to be in any pain but he still has the balance issue.

So, that looks like a Rainbow Dwarf. Possible DGD. Watch it for the next couple of days. If it does not improve, you should euthanize it.

Please do not buy Dwarf Gouramis. I swear, 75% of the ones I had bought over time got DGD.

Just read through your post. I had one not so long ago, he did fine for 8 months!

I brought a new tank, swaped all my fish over from the old tank to the new one and they all did fine apart from the Gourami, and the same happend to mine, he died after 3-4 days of having the problem :unsure:

Just read through your post. I had one not so long ago, he did fine for 8 months!

I brought a new tank, swaped all my fish over from the old tank to the new one and they all did fine apart from the Gourami, and the same happend to mine, he died after 3-4 days of having the problem :unsure:

Well mine's still kicking after about week from the move. Who knows. I'm going to give him another pea tomorrow to see if that helps.

If the fish is swimming upside down and clearly trying to swim the right way up, then it sounds a lot like swim bladder disease.
However, I have a Moonlight Gourami which does swim in an exceptionally different way to all my other fish. By this, I mean that he is often eating food from the bottom of the tank or nibbling on plants whilst swimming completely vertical, with his head downwards and his tail to the surface. If this is similar to what you're describing then I don't think it's anything to worry about. :good:

thats what i thought as well, also a pointer towards ammonia poisioning

How long have you had the fish? Are the rest of the fish in tank acting like normal? If so this could be a swim bladder problem fish use there swim bladder to control there movement in the water. It not normally a good thing and i don’t known of a cure! Sorry mate

There are cures (interpet do a very good one actually)

So, that looks like a Rainbow Dwarf. Possible DGD. Watch it for the next couple of days. If it does not improve, you should euthanize it.

Please do not buy Dwarf Gouramis. I swear, 75% of the ones I had bought over time got DGD.

Just to ask, what is dgd?

Most reactions

trending

Back