FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fishmanic

TFF Contest Czar
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Bought a Marineland 10 gallon aquarium kit....came with 50 watt heater, Penguin 100 filter, hood and led light.   I've started a fishless cycle using media from my other 2 tanks (a 29 gallon and a 35 gallon hex). 

Painted the back of the tank with   3 coats of black latex paint .  Using a nice end table as the stand.  Added two legs for additional support and added a oversize wood base under the tank to protect the table top.

Here's the empty tank after painting the back.

tank is still slightly cloudy due to squeezing old media into the filter

IMG_2022-vi.jpg

and here's some pics after transferring some wood and plants from my other 2 tanks..I'm sure I'll do further improvements to the overall look
IMG_2035-vi.jpg

IMG_2036-vi.jpg

IMG_2037-vi.jpg

Did some updating...moved in some more java fern and anubias...got a iece of flagstone in the backyard and siliconed it to some flat rocks....

I'm on day four for cycling . I had addd some media from my other tanks. Taking longer than I was hoping.

IMG_2044-vi.jpg

IMG_2047-vi.jpg

IMG_2048-vi.jpg

Comments, recommendations welcome

cleaned up the wood and trimmed the foreground piece of wood  .   I think it looks better this way.

IMG_2055-vi.jpg

Tank is looking good :D

added a second floor to my "cave" .  Am waiting for silicone to fully cure before adding it.  Tube is test results for nitrites.  Cycle has begun...hope it move quickly as I heavily seeded the tank/filter.

IMG_2067-vi.jpg

IMG_2066-vi.jpg

rethinking the cave...I think it may be too big for the tank...oh well, back to the drawing board...I'll put it in my 29 gallon  tank for my large pleco

I like the cave, shame it's too big.

most recent iteration...decided not to use cave

IMG_2123-vi.jpg

Another one or two days and I should be cycled.....will be a total of 7 or 8 days...used filter media from other tanks

doing final adjustments to aquascape....subject to change of course later.   I added a small homemad cave made with flagstone and rocks siliconed together.  Just about ready for fish....nitrites at .5 ppm and ammonia at .25 after full dose of ammonia at 7pm yesterday....if both are 0 at 7pm tonight I am cycled....it will have been 12 days----sped up by using media, plants and substrate from other tanks.   Cycle would have been completed sooner but ph had dropped to about 6.4 so I added 1/4 tsp of baking soda and brought it up to 7.6....cycling sped up soon after.   Plants added are anubias nana, java fern, and some tiny jungle val (never had luck with jungle val).   I am limited in plant choice as tank is relatively  low lighted with leds that came with the marilneland aquarium kit.

IMG_2182-vi.jpg

C'est Fini 

cycled and now stocked my 10 gallon aquarium

presently have 5 harlequin rasboras, 1 julii cory, and 1 neon blue dwarf gourami

all fish are setting in nicely

IMG_2211-vi.jpg

Here's a video of the 10 gallon tank...just stocked yesterday.

http://youtu.be/yj0SwupRDcA

Congrats on finishing the cycle :) Tank and fish look lovely.

Fishmanic said:
added a second floor to my "cave" .  Am waiting for silicone to fully cure before adding it.  Tube is test results for nitrites.  Cycle has begun...hope it move quickly as I heavily seeded the tank/filter.

IMG_2067-vi.jpg

IMG_2066-vi.jpg
ooooo I love this...what a great idea!  Did you order the silicone or purchase from a LFS?  

I bought the silicone from Amazon...it's Dow 100% silicone, no additives for mold, mildew prevention. I cut off and smoothed out some of the sharp edges using a nipper and a grinding stone. My full grown bushynose pleco hangs out on the second floor in my larger 29 gallon tank.

IMG_2241-vi.jpg

Latest update to the 10 gallon tank. Added some rocks and another Java Fern.

IMG_2254-vi.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back