goramia laying gasping help!!!!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kevfiz

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
good afternoon all, I have a sick gorami, he is laying at the bottom of tank gasping and has been like this for around 24 hours. my tank is 70ltr and I have two filters running. has anyone any idea what might be wrong or if I can save the fish? I have attached my water test I have just done. ph seems slightly high but all the rest seem fine.
image2.JPG
image1.JPG

maybe so but it was only bought from the fish shop about 4 months ago, a fish shop that is very busy and sells a lot. I would no sayt the fish is that old really.

99 percent of the time when fish die, its because of us. It could have been the Iridovirus infection that infects mass bred fish such as gouramis. Many fish affected by the iridorivus infection will, in their last days, refuse food and lay on their sides, breathing very heavily. This is what you described your fish doing. Fish will also look plump or constipated. Near the very end, as the gills stop functioning, Gouramis will try to bolt for the surface, to suck in air. Unfortunately, if the infection doesn't get the fish, drowning certainly will.

I also see that you have a "plastic tank". I would switch to live as it will be healthier for the tank and the fish. Plants soak up harmful ammonia that could have killed your fish.

You also have a lot of Brush Algae. This is caused by Ammonia. Like with most algae, ammonia triggers this algae. Even very low spikes could induce it. Another big component in triggering this algae is High organics. High organics causes BA to grow, feeding on the organics. By organics, I mean leftover fish food, fish waste, or decaying plant matter.

Last edited:
When a fish is like this is it better to put it out of its misery or let nature take its course?

I feel like killing a fish because you think it's going to die is nonsense. If you had a dog with a rare disease that could be cured but would take time, would you put it down because it was suffering. If the animal can be cured of its disease, there is no reason that you should kill it. I have had many fish (normally deformed or smaller than the rest) that have stayed at the bottom of the tank, drained with color, bullied by the other fish, and would not eat. These fish over the course of a couple weeks healed up perfectly. If you do have an incurable disease such as iridovirus, just let nature take its course.

image1-jpg.86751

Hi

Looking at the photo of the water test I do not know what the ammonia level is, I have never seen that color.

Are you sure you are doing it right?

I feel like killing a fish because you think it's going to die is nonsense. If you had a dog with a rare disease that could be cured but would take time, would you put it down because it was suffering. If the animal can be cured of its disease, there is no reason that you should kill it.

what the heck are you talking about?....this fish doesn't have a disease

Water change, plenty of surface agitation. Check for wounds as well

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back