Good Cories For 10 Gallon Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

NewFeesh

Reaction score
Hi! I'm about to stock my newly cycled 10 gallon tank, and I was wondering

1) The minimum number of cories needed for the cories to be happy in a tank (have heard ranges from 1-6)

2) If mixed shoals are discouraged (I like the idea of lots of different colors of cories)

3) The smallest kinds of cories recommended for a tank my size.

Stats: 10 gallon, 150 Aquaclear filter, medium-planted, 20 watts lights, mixed gravel and sand substrate. Other fish anticipated: guppies and a dwarf gourami.

Thanks!

My own favorite cories in that small container would be the C. habrosus, one of the pygmy sized cories. This is a picture of one of my own habrosus.

Habrosus.jpg

The minimum number of cories of almost any species that will show the interaction of healthy shoaling fish is about 6. I prefer larger numbers to get a realistic response from the fish.

There is nothing wrong with mixed groups of cories as long as you have enough of each species to form a nice shoal. Cories do not exhibit any aggression to other species so you can well mix species in a single tank. You should not expect different species to form a single shoal, they will shoal well only with their own kind.

we have a 10 gallon tank with 4 leopard cories - 3 Corydoras trilineatus and 1 Julii Corydoras who are great and all get along well. they were mixed from the shop and all seem to enjoy each others company.

we have 3 dwarf gouramis and 6 silver tip tetras in the tank and have no problems.

we have a piece of bogwood and its quite heavily planted - the cat fish love sitting on the plants, especially broad leaved ones.

im not sure if the catfish will need to be rehomed later if they grow larger - the main reason we have them instead of the pygmy catfish is we have gravel instead of a sand substrate

If you are a begginer then I would recommend bronze/Alino corys (there the same species just sold underdifferent names) You could get panda corys.

Coryies are lots of fun so If I were you I would get some. :good:

Small cories would fair better in a 10 gal,dwarf cories such has pygmateus,habrosus & hastatus corys would be ideal,or maybe a group of pandas,has these stay relatively small compared to bronze/albinos,these can reach upto 3 inches in length and would need more space.

Small cories would fair better in a 10 gal,dwarf cories such has pygmateus,habrosus & hastatus corys would be ideal,or maybe a group of pandas,has these stay relatively small compared to bronze/albinos,these can reach upto 3 inches in length and would need more space.
O thats true Albinos would need a bigger tank.

Yes, as Harlequins said, you could go for the Dwarf Corys or the smaller corys like Panda Corys. Other Corys I recommend are Jullis Cory and Elegant Cory

I don't think elegant would be good because they get big I have a few of those in my 30 gallon and mine get around 4-5inches.

Thank you all, everyone. The LFS I patronize had C. paleatus, which is supposed to be on the smaller side of cories.

However, now I have a new cory problem. I'm starting to be worried that whatever's wrong with this cory, it might be contagious.

I now have four Peppered cories which I bought six days ago. One of them, when I got him, wasn't behaving quite normally: he would skulk in the back of the tank and didn't shoal with the other three, sometimes resting in the plants for long periods of time without moving. I came home two days ago to find him floating upside down at the bottom of the tank. He'd make a mad dash for the top, get tired, and slowly sink back down. I noticed that his gill and chin area were very red. Two hours later, he died.

I went back to the store and got a replacement (after they checked my water parameters themselves and found them fine). Now the new cory is acting suspicious. He's red all along the paler areas of his lower sides and underbelly, and he's swimming erratically up and down, not quite able to steer himself quite right.

The other cories seem to be just fine.

Is this swim bladder issues, or something scarier? What can I do?

Cory diet: fish flakes, shrimp pellets, and blanched butter lettuce leaves

Tank size: 10 gallon
pH: 8.5
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 30
tank temp: 76 F
Tank age: cycled for 2 months, first week with fish.

Ive replied in your other post about this, but ideally for things like this you need to post in the emergency section :good:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back