FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Dwarfs

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
Max size: 3"

Origin: Goo-Obo Falls, Papua New Guinea

Minimum tank size:15g

Breeding: Provide a small cave that the pair can fit into, raise the tank temperature a few degrees, and feed well. IME, patience is needed. As with other gudgeons, the eggs must be separated from the father shortly before hatching. To replace the male's constant fanning of the eggs, place an airline tube into the cave and have the bubbles blow past the eggs (use a very gentle filter for this). Moving water around the eggs will keep fungus from overtaking most of the eggs, although fungus was still a problem for me, I would recommend lightly medicating the water. I have hatched eggs, and currently have one surviving fry and one adult pair of goos left. Unfortunately I was unable to dedicate the time and money needed to care for the eggs, so the spawns were unsuccessful.
If anyone else has had any experience breeding these (and raising them), please add it here, the more information. the better.

Feeding: Will eat foods that sink to the bottom, mainly just frozen goodies though. Pellets should be tried.

Water: Hardy fish, neutral pH, 78-80 degrees

Comments: These are pretty much dwarf Mogurndas that hang out near the bottom instead of the top begging for food. They are great little fish, and mine should color up a lot when/if they finally breed.
If you haven't heard of this fish, it's because they are fairly new to the hobby and probably won't be easily found at stores quite yet. We bought 6 for over $70 on aquabid, luckily the man sent us 10 instead ;)

gudgeons002.jpg

gudgeons0012.jpg

Male
P2090118.jpg

P20901152.jpg

P2090111.jpg

P2090112.jpg

Female
P2090119.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online