Goldfish's face has suddenly turned red

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

claudia

Reaction score
My shubunkin was completely fine yesterday, but today her face is completely red. (It is normally pale pink). There is also red at the base of her dorsal and tail fin. She is swimming about our pond, but slowly, and showed no interest in food (she is normally always very hungry). There are many other fish in the pond and they all seem to be absolutely fine at the moment.

It has been raining all day so I have only just seen her a few hours ago; I don't know how many hours she has been like this.

Help!

It might be poisoning from something that washed into the pond (due to the rain). If you can, remove 50-75% of the water out of the pond and replace it with clean water that is free of chlorine/ chloramine.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen in the water.

If there is a lot of gunk on the bottom of the pond then try to remove that as well. Rotting organic matter can become anaerobic (lacking oxygen) and lots of rain can stir it up and release sulphur dioxide bubbles that can affect the fish. Removing the gunk from the pond can help prevent this from happening.

If you have a filter on the pond then clean the filter sponges in a bucket of pond water and make sure the filter is running.

If you can post a picture of the fish it might help :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back