Goldfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Cichlids

Reaction score
Helloo lovely fishies :)

So I am considering getting a goldfish in my 120L tank and was wondering if someone could answer a few of my questions :)

Do goldfish get lonely (should I/ can get more than 1 in my tank)?

Can they live in a planted tank?

What are the types of goldfish?- I heard some are far bigger than others and became confused through researching...

Thank you :)

Hi, the number of fish you have will dictate the amount of work you are able to put into the tank. As you will know they are very messy fish, they are carp at the end of the day.

In a 120 litre tank you could have 2 of the smaller fancy types in there - a good rule of thumb is 20 gallons for one and 10 gallons for each fish after. This is generally the rule going into larger tanks though, but with a slightly smaller tank I would go for one of the species less able to swim well like Pearlscales.

Plants are an option but be prepared for them to get uprooted and nibbled.

Wills

Your tank is a bit on the small side for two fish, but goldfish are very social, so it's best not to keep them alone. If you keep up the water changes (massive water changes are the way to go with goldies, always!) you should be all right.

Fantails, orandas, moors or telescope eyes would all be suitable for your tank; I'm not aware that pearscales are any smaller or less able swimmers than any other fancy, tbh Wills!

Goldies do enjoy playing with and eating plants; it is good for them though. If you use cheap stem pond plants, like elodea or cabomba, don't expect them to last long but the fish will enjoy them! You could give Java fern and anubias a try; they're tough and (allegedly, I haven't tried them!) bitter tasting, so most fish leave them alone. Both need to be attached to wood or rocks rather than planted in the substrate.

I don't want it to look like I'm blowing my own trumpet or anything, but we do have a goldfish for beginners guide here; http://www.fishforums.net/threads/goldfish-for-beginners.417799/

I'm not aware that pearscales are any smaller or less able swimmers than any other fancy, tbh Wills!

I have to admit its a long time since I kept Goldies, but I spent a long time staring at some big fancies in a shop near me and the pearlscales just seemed to not get around quite as quickly. Incredibly sweet looking fish though!

Wills

I have to admit its a long time since I kept Goldies, but I spent a long time staring at some big fancies in a shop near me and the pearlscales just seemed to not get around quite as quickly. Incredibly sweet looking fish though!

Wills

You could be right; they don't seem to be very common round here, so I've never seen a big one,and I've never kept them!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back