Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

goldfish help! bloated

Discussion in 'Coldwater Fish and Ponds' started by helptoall, Sep 6, 2018.

1. helptoall

helptoall New Member

Hi, last saturday one of the golfish in the tank got inflated. I tried to take pics but theyarent good.. He is behaving normally and dosent show nay other signs, active and eating and he's scales are normal as well and he also has one red patch on the bottom of his belly. I started treatment for the whole tank 2 days after it started with kanaplex assuming this is some kind of bacterial infection. So far no improvment. I really appreciate any advice or ideas to ehat is this and how to treat,thank you!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. trash.binh91

trash.binh91 New Member

can we have more information on your goldfish?

3. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

If the fish is still eating and swimming around normally, then it doesn't have a bacterial or protozoan infection. The fish could be constipated if it isn't getting any or enough plant matter in its diet.

What are you feeding the fish?
    Has the fish done any poop over the last couple of days?

The fish might have a hernia or intestinal worms. There is nothing you can do about a hernia and intestinal worms don't normally cause the fish to develop a large swelling over night.

Because the fish is still eating, I would feed it some aquarium plants like Duckweed or Ambulia, or some partially cooked peas, pumpkin, zucchini or cucumber. All the fish can eat this and goldfish should have some plant matter in their diet each day.

See how the fish goes after eating some plant matter and monitor its poop. If the fish is eating but not pooping, there is a problem.
    If the fish is eating plant matter the poop should be green.
    If the fish has worms or an internal infection, the poop will often be white and stringy.

-----------------------
    The Kanaplex is a strong anti-biotic that will wipe out filter bacteria and if used incorrectly can lead to drug resistant bacteria. Anti-biotics should only be used as a last resort to treat bacterial infections.

You should monitor the water quality for ammonia and nitrite over the next few weeks in case the filters have been affected by the medication.

#3 Colin_T, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  4. helptoall

helptoall New Member

You can have all the info ou want just ask. And i about feeding, i feed them novo pearl by JBL whch has 20% spirulina in it. in addition i feed peas ocasionally. I have exp with bacterial infection with goldfish and i dont think that the fact he is eating disqualified this. goldfish can eat even if they feel horrible and dying..
    thank for the welcoming and the help

5. trash.binh91

trash.binh91 New Member

Though this may be a bit irrelevant, can I know your sized tank and your amount of fish?

6. helptoall

helptoall New Member

450 L 20 small to medium fish

7. trash.binh91

trash.binh91 New Member

Unless this setup is temprorary, this tank is way, way too small for 20 goldfish. Maybe you should consider getting rid of a few, or upgrading to a way larger tank. Getting back to the main point, goldfish are very high ammonia producers, and having too many in a smaller tank can be deadly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. essjay

essjay Member

I agree. if you read the sticky on goldfish http://www.fishforums.net/threads/goldfish-for-beginners.417799/ you will see that you need 100 litres for the first goldfish and 50 litres for each additional fish. That's 1050 litres for 20 goldfish.
    I notice that your tank has no substrate, and in the photos there doesn't appear to be any decoration at all. If this is the permanent home of the fish, you need a substrate which will be home to countless micro-organisms, and decor of some kind, preferable live plants or fake ones if necessary, will make the tank much more fish friendly and the fish less stressed.

9. helptoall

helptoall New Member

this is tem,porary and there are a few plastic plants and 1 photus . we let the fisv grow and then moving them to a pond

• Like Like x 1
  10. fishperson100

fishperson100 New Member

Does your goldfish have raised scales like a pinecone? I know that is an indicator of dropsy. I had a goldfish like that too.

11. helptoall

helptoall New Member

12. helptoall

helptoall New Member

Hi thanks for your respond. The current update- Ive did some water changes and treated with kanaplex and levamisol HCL. its been4 days since i finished the kanaplex treatment and 1 week since the levamisole dose and 10 days since the fish started to look bloated. There is no improvment ,however for all this time the fish is active, swimming and eating. I also didnt feed the tank for 4 days and today started giving peas. Any new ideas? there is no scale pertruding at all, dosent look like dropsy.