Goldfish Belly Red

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tyedye

Reaction score
We have a fish tank and four goldfish in the tank. We have just noticed that one of our fish has a red belly which looks like blood. It doesn't seem sick and it's temperment seems normal. Any ideas on what is going on with it?

Thanks

We have a fish tank and four goldfish in the tank. We have just noticed that one of our fish has a red belly which looks like blood. It doesn't seem sick and it's temperment seems normal. Any ideas on what is going on with it?

Thanks

Ok, need to know a few things in order to help more.
How big is the tank?
Do you have a filter?
How long have you had the filter?
How do you clean your filter?
What size is the said goldfish and other goldfish?
Are there any other symptoms?
Have you changed routine/feeding or anything recently?

Its just to try and diagnose the problem better.
I'm no expert on goldfish although we've had three for a number of years now so I might not be able to help but there are many more experienced people on this forum than me.

The tank is a 10 gallon tank. We have a filter on it. We replaced the filter three weeks ago. We normally take out about 1/3 of the water in the tank and replace it when we change it every month. There are four fish that are about 1 to 1 1/2 inches long. The only thing we have done is added an additional goldfish a week ago. The new one is the largest one we have. The goldfish that we have in the tank - besides the new one have been together for about 3 years. We have had them in the filtered tank for about a year. Any advise you have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

It sounds like a bacterial infection from poor water quality; most of these kinds of things in goldifsh are.

Please don't feel as if I'm having a go or anything, but I do feel I have to be honest with you.

Your tank is severly overstocked, I'm afraid. Fancy goldfish need 20 gallons each, and long-bodied goldfish don't belong in tanks at all; they need to be in a pond.

In all honesty, you need to either get a bigger tank ASAP, or re-home these fish, because they can't stay where they are for too much longer.

When you changed the filter, did you put any of the media (that's sponges or something) into the new filter? If you didn't, you will have lost any good bacteria, and there will be ammonia building up in the water.

While you're thinking what to do, do daily 50% water changes, with dechlorinated water and cut the feeding right back.

This will (hopefully) help keep the fish healthy for the next few days.

Try not to panic; we've had worse problems than yours here, and you're in the right place to get help :good:

Post back if you have aany more problems or have any questions and someone will get back to you.

Good luck :)

Good luck with your fish; do post again if there's anything else we can do to help/advise you on :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back