Golden Sucker Loach

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

menacer

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My partner has a tank at her house (cold water) she has 4 fairly large goldfish in there. We recently went to pets at home and got 2 golden sucker loach. They did not tell us that these sucker loach will grow and kill the other fish like i have just read on another site. Is this the case?

Do you mean the yellow form of the golden algae eater? They do eat alage as babies, but they stop eating it as they grow older, and the develop a taste for the slime coat of other fish. That's not saying they will, but they could.
Also they are tropical fish, so won't do well in a cold water tank.

But there is also a yellow form of the weather loach, which are cool water fish. These don't attack other fish.

Which ones do you have?

I dont know, they were in a cold water tank at the LFS but he wrote on the receipt golden sucker loach?

as for the sucking loach, I had then in with goldfish and one started to get aggressive so I got rid of them both, not before attacking my goldfish though. As for the golden loach (dojo/weather loach) they will be fine with the goldfish.

I would guess they are the golden algae eaters though (try and take a photo/find a link online) and post it here (actually I have photos of the ones I had online, I'll past their links at dinner time)

they will get agressive as they grow and goldies are the perfect targets as they are big and slow, i have heard of them sucking the slime coats off angelfish and removing eyes :crazy:

Taking them back ;) thnks for the help can't believe the LFS didn't say

Most reactions

Back