Golden Dojo.. Please help with conflicting care information

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

simonero

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi! I recently bought 2 juvenile golden dojo loaches. I'd identified them as tank-compatible in the past, but hadn't done much recent research and had to decide about the purchase on the spot. Now, for 2 things in particular, the internet seems to contain contradictory and even opposite information, depending on the website.

What should their diet contain, ideally? And are they carnivores, omnivores, or herbivores?! (Yes, I've found separate websites claiming each of those. Grrrrr.) Also, any general feeding tips are appreciated, as I've no prior experience with these neat lil' buddies.

What is their "ideal" water hardness or hardness range? I've read everything from "soft" to "very hard" on the internet. My other tankmates are hardy to water changes and actually might benefit from slightly harder water, but I want to make this decision around the dojos' needs because everyone else has been fine for years.

Thoughts/advice on other water parameters appreciated as well... Specifically, the upper end of a good/reasonable water temperature (in case the internet has lied to me about this too), and the ideal pH + reasonable pH range.

Thank you so much!!

If you need trusted information go here:
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/misgurnus-anguillicaudatus/

Imho, all the questions you ask now should have been answered before the purchase.

Agreed, but like I said I had to make the purchase on the spot, because I buy new fish in a different city than where I actually live. I wouldn't have purchased them if I hadn't already determined in the past that these fish were compatible with my tank and tankmates. Just looking to get advice from others with experience so I can raise them as competently as possible. Thank you for the website!

Still looking for answers about ideal water hardness and tips from experience about feeding, if anybody out there has some input!

Dojo/weather loaches are really unfussy with regards to pH and hardness. As long as your water is not very, very soft, or extremely hard, they'll be fine.

As for feeding, a good quality catfish pellet is fine; they are omnivorous, but the majority of their diet in the wild, as far as I've been able to find out, is small worms and substrate dwelling aquatic insects.

The most important thing is temperature. There are not tropical fish, and will have a significantly shortened lifespan if kept too warm, all year round. Ideally they would have a maximum summer temperature of around 23°C and a cooler winter of around 18°C.

I should warn you that these are, if cared for properly, very long lived fish; I have one that's over 25 years old!

Dojo/weather loaches are really unfussy with regards to pH and hardness. As long as your water is not very, very soft, or extremely hard, they'll be fine.

As for feeding, a good quality catfish pellet is fine; they are omnivorous, but the majority of their diet in the wild, as far as I've been able to find out, is small worms and substrate dwelling aquatic insects.

The most important thing is temperature. There are not tropical fish, and will have a significantly shortened lifespan if kept too warm, all year round. Ideally they would have a maximum summer temperature of around 23°C and a cooler winter of around 18°C.

I should warn you that these are, if cared for properly, very long lived fish; I have one that's over 25 years old!

Thank you!!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back