Golden Barb Was The Blown Up Like A Baloon

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fry_lover

Fred and the Fredettes
Reaction score
Ok, got a group of 9 Golden Barbs, about 1.5" each in my 48x24x18 inch planted community tank.

Ammonia, Nitrite always undetectable and tested weekly, Nitrate always below 60

No dietary changes recently, feeding mixture of flake and frozen (bloodworm once a week, brine shrimp, Cyclops) and about once a week some courgette

A couple of days ago, i noticed one of the barbs a bit "blown up" like a massively pregnant large female guppy would be. Didn't think much of it, as by the behaviour i suspect some breeding amongst the group.

But the next day it was HUGE, i've never seen a fish so different in size in 24-48 hrs. It really did look like it had been stuffed full of air, no joke!!! Was swimming with its head slightly "down" and tail "up" so i figured a swim-bladder issue? It was a quite sudden on-set as i watch my fish every day in the evening, and i would have noticed it.

Kind of looked like a massive version of dropsy but without the "pine cone effect", apart from slight balance issue, swimming about normally and active.

No signs of issues in eyes or on skin, no loss of colour, no flicking or gasping

ANYWAY........................

took it out, thinking it was virtually dead, but i was curious, so for 3 days its been in a 10 litre, filtered and heated tiny plastic tank,

I havent fed it, and its now back to normal! No medication or salt

Could it have been some kind of constipation issue?

But this fish was HUGE, i have to emphasis this. Almost twice its normal size.

None of the other barbs have this issue, no fish does.

Any idea's what occured?

anybody?

The Barb continues to recover, just wondering what happened :unsure:

Never ever seen or heard of that, I have tried searching google but cant really fine anything conclusive...
-Most info seems to point to constipation....so you might be right.
At least you cured it though :rolleyes:

Never ever seen or heard of that, I have tried searching google but cant really fine anything conclusive...
-Most info seems to point to constipation....so you might be right.
At least you cured it though :rolleyes:

It's a strange one alright, am thinking constipation, although the diet as described above has been pretty decent i think.

I was wondering if it was packed with eggs and has since laid and eaten the eggs, but that theory gets a bit blown out the water (pardon the pun) in that, the Barb blew up big time in less than 48 hrs

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back