Gold Shoulder?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

garraty

Reaction score
Several months ago I bought a few corys that to me were just plain green C. aeneus. The LFS I got them from obviously had no idea what they were when I bought them, when asked they said they didn't know, they were shipped as extras from the wholesaler and called them "plain corys" whatever that is :)

To the point, this morning I noticed one of them has gold shoulders, I can say with a lot of certainty the shoulders where not gold two weeks ago, which was the last time I did a very close check of these. They are not yet full grown but have just started spawning about four weeks ago.

The question is; does anyone know if the gold shoulder variety develops gold shoulders with age or because of conditions or are they always present? And, does anyone have a picture of the gold shoulder variety, from the top would be best.

Hi garraty :)

Welcome to the forum! :hi: It's good to see you here! :thumbs:

The Gold Shoulder corys seem to me like a link between the bronze C. aeneus and the Orange Lazers. If they had been called white lazers, the name would not have been at all inappropriate. The stripe on them runs the entire length of the body, just like the other lazer corys and the overall color of the body looks like that of a bronze, but it has a white pearly sheen over it

I've had a hard time trying to capture their true appearance in a photograph because their color is subtle and the camera picks up different looks according to the way the light hits them. Here are a few that I think are close, but the yellow coloring is less apparent when I look at them in my tank:

SchoolofGoldShoulders.jpg

goldshoulders2.jpg

This is a terrible photograph, but I saved it because it has something of a more dynamic feeling than they seem to have in the other pictures. It's distorted because it was taken from the top of the tank with the filter moving the water.

goldshoulders4.jpg

The question is; does anyone know if the gold shoulder variety develops gold shoulders with age or because of conditions or are they always present?

Even as young fry, these corys look different from the regular bronze corys. I have some that are only a few months old and they show the stripe. I just tried to get a picture of them, but they didn't come out clearly so I'll try again later.

This picture shows them at just about a month, along with black ones that were spawned at the same time. Even at that age, they have that pearly look to them although it doesn't show up as much in the picture. They were too small at that age for me to tell if the stripe was there.

1monthblandgoldsh.jpg

Do these corys look like the ones you have? :unsure:

BTW, was the lfs you bought them from Petland Discounts, by any chance?

wow.. great pics once again Inchworm.. and seems like you still have the touch.. i see so many little ones in that picture.. :hey: i like the third pic with all the eggs in the top of the tank.. looked like it was quite the spawn...

Mine look nothing like the picture of yours. I think the white lazer description would be better than gold shoulder for what you have.

Mine look much like aeneus, but they have a very orange marking on both sides of the head, only about 5 mm or so in length, but from the top you can't miss it. It look like the same kind of line in all the lazer corys but very very short, other than that they look just like your standard bronze cory.

I would guess since the LFS (not petland discounts) had no idea what they where as they where just added to an order by the wholesaler my guess is they are some sort of hybrid. So far they have not produced a fertile egg.

I'm very interested in learning more about the corys you have and would appreciate it if you would post a picture of them. I hope they are the ones I'm thinking about.

Several years ago Petland Discounts carried a species they called "Golden Ears." (They import some of their own fish and call them by whatever the local's name them, instead of by species.) They looked like a C. aeneus bronze with little gold apostrophes where their ears would be, if they had ears. I should have bought some then, but was having too hard a time getting my C. panda community established to bother with them. They had them for a long time and, not knowing as much about corys as I do now, I thought they would always have them.

Once they stopped selling them, I've never seen them since. No one has ever given me any other information about them, but they are one I've always wanted to find.

Good luck breeding them. If yours do have fry, please keep me in mind. :D

I will try and get a top view picture of them this weekend, the description you gave does seem to resemble these and so far has been the closest I have read.

They just spawned today, but didn't bother gathering the eggs as I am leaving town for four days in a week and newborns would not make it.

If they are really a C. aeneus variation, you just might get more eggs very soon.

BTW, if you like the Gold Shoulders, I bought them from guppymannj, who sells them frequently on AquaBid. He's a very reliable and helpful dealer and I recommend him highly. If you (or anyone else) is interested in them, PM me for his email address. :D

Maybe I will have him toss some in what he is sending me next week (sarareensis and C128) but starting to run out of tank space here soon.

Good for you garraty! I think you'll especially like the sarareensis. :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back