Gold Ring Butterfly Pleco

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

cahnnarel

Reaction score
I've just been to my local centre and seen some really beautiful gold ring butterfly pleco's. The guy I spoke to wasn't sure how big they grow as they've not had them in before ...does anyone know anything about these ? They are about 3 inches at the moment.

I'm trading in my two sailfin pleco's next week and looking to get something that stays fairly small that will be happy in my 3ft tank..

Having had a good mooch at the plecs on offer, im torn between either gold ring butterfly or a couple bristlenoses?

Anyone have some good advice for me??

which one L052, Butterfly pleco or L168 Butterfly Pleco?

Most likely just a new name of an existing species. There are currently 600 or so listed and likely some are just a color or location variant of an existing species, like this gold ring.

Most likely just a new name of an existing species. There are currently 600 or so listed and likely some are just a color or location variant of an existing species, like this gold ring.

Teelie,

Did you mean to put a picture in?

Xingumike,

I don't think it's an L001 either..

Its fins go round the entire body almost if that makes sense. When it's on the side of the tank it looks like a circle and the fins seem to go round in a waving motion.. my partner said it looks a bit like a flying saucer when it glides through the water, :lol:

I know these are juveniles in the lfs, but the markings are a honey / gold (doh!) colour with brown kind of stripes...very very hard to describe, can you tell?

They guy in the shop thinks these will most likely get to about 6 inches, and from what i could see on Planet catfish the butterflys grow to around that size...so I think I may take the plunge and get a couple next week... unless my bad description leads anyone else to knowing what it is I'm talking about!!! Forgot to say also that they are £10 each and about 2 inches in size at the mo...

Its fins go round the entire body almost if that makes sense. When it's on the side of the tank it looks like a circle and the fins seem to go round in a waving motion.. my partner said it looks a bit like a flying saucer when it glides through the water, :lol:

ahhh ok il hazard a guess at this then....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillstream_loach

aint a plec though its a loach

I agree with xingumike. Often seen sold as butterfly plec they come in many different shades and spot variations.

Edit: but remember they are fairly cold water fish and require very strong current with high oxygen levels.

Touche i think ! :thanks:

I've done a little search and found this pic...this looks exactly like the ones in the shop...

such a beauty, I'm sad I can't have ...

hillstreamloach.jpg

and should credit this website for the pic too http://www.loaches.com/articles/hillstream...n-the-fast-lane (I hope this is okay)...

I think it's going to be a mr & mrs bristlenose taking up residence :) Thanks everyone for the detective work, brilliant !

I didn't mean to put a picture in but it turns out you found your plec as it were. :p It's still debatable whether it's a true loach or not either.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back