Gold Fish Got A Lump

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ellie48

Reaction score
Hiya

got a fish with a large lump on the one side its not an external lump its more internally pushing out and it's getting bigger any ideas as what it mite be and can it be treated? i know this is a vague description, as I've only had the fish about a month the lump appeared about 2 weeks ago now the fish is having difficulty swimming. Its still eating..

Hiya

got a fish with a large lump on the one side its not an external lump its more internally pushing out and it's getting bigger any ideas as what it mite be and can it be treated? i know this is a vague description, as I've only had the fish about a month the lump appeared about 2 weeks ago now the fish is having difficulty swimming. Its still eating..

In order to help we need a few details about your tank -

+ Size?
+ Filtration?
+ Test results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH? (if you don't have a test kit your local fish store should be able to test for you)
+ How many other fish in the tank, and what are they?
+ What do you feed and how much/often?
+ How often do you do water changes and how much each time?

Sounds like one of the following:

+ lop-sided bloating
+ internal parasites
+ tumour
+ constipation
+ inflamed swimbladder

Hiya

Thanks for helping. The tank I got is a 30 liter biorb and have 5 fish in it all together. The filtration is a cartridge that comes with the Biorb kit.I'm not really up on all this fish stuff it was bought for my 7 year old daughter. and I'll try and get a pic uploaded if i can get a good pic. I am treating the fish at the moment with Anti Internal Bacteria have got to put another dose in today, cos on reading up on fish i thought it may be that or constipation and i was told to put aquarium salt in the tank as well......

And i do a 30% water change every week,
And feed them an goldfish flaks once a day

Image074.jpg

Image081.jpg

These are the best pics i could do sorry!

Not ot be negative, but looks like a tumour, usually its fatal and just gets bigger and bigger... :(

Cheers for the reply. My daughters gonna be gutted it's her favourite fish!!:(

I'd agree with tumour... some of the fancies had similar lumps in my local LFS, and the guy was saying he'd have to euthanise.

Also, 30 litres is way too small for the goldies i'm afraid - the person who bought the tank probs followed LFS recommendations of putting common goldfish in these little tanks, but it just doesn't work :( these fish get to over a foot if kept in proper conditions.

Any chance you can get these guys into a pond? They aren't really tank fish - even fancies need 20 gallons per fish to grow properly and not be stunted.

How bout a nice betta :hyper: i'm a total fan, heehee, and they're so pretty i think your daughter would totally fall in love with one :)

Although there is a fair chance it might be a tumor, it is not the only possibility. A while back last year i had a goldfish that developed a strange lump like what your goldfish has, and although while at first i thought it was a tumor, the lump later erupted into a more pimple-like growth. After much research it turned out that the goldfish had an uncommon type of internal bacterial infection that can become very infectious as the pimple-like growth later erupts puss which passes on the disease to the other fish in the tank.
Literally days after identifying the disease though another of the goldfish started showing similar symptoms. I treated the tank with "Anti Internal Bacteria" by Interpet and Pimafix, although by the time i started treatment the original infected goldfish later turned out to be too far gone to save, i still managed to treat and save the second goldfish, which made a full recovery ^_^ .

So just in case your goldfish has a similar condition as to what mine had, i would recommend treating them with "Anti Internal Bacteria" by Interpet and Pimafix just to be on the safe side, doing lots of regular small water changes with dechlorinator/water conditioner and keeping a close eye on their health in general etc. If it is a tumor there's not really anything you can do to cure the fish of it, however it still might live for a long time even with such a condition.
When it comes to fish with tumors, the time to euthanise them is the time when they start to appear obviously negatively impacted by the growth, as sometimes they can live in good health for a while with them. A lot of what depends on how long a tumor takes to kill a goldfish depends on where it is on the body and its proximity to other internal organs etc, and whether it goes cancerous or not. Unfortunately tumors are not that uncommon in goldish, which is largely a result of the intensive breeding/inbreeding many have been subjected to, so you must face this as a possibility.

I have to agree with the others in that in the long run a 30litre tank is too small for goldfish, although i think the main thing right now is to see whether it is possible to treat the goldfish. On the other hand though, even at this point in time if you have other goldfish it would still be beneficial to upgrade the tank to a larger one or just rehome the other healthy goldfish for some smaller growing variety fish etc. Good luck either way though with whatever happens :) !

Hi all
Thanks for the replies i was treating with anti internal bacteria and that's done no good. But i have noticed while doing a water change today that when he stops swimming that he's floating to the top and lists slightly to the side not really badly though. So do you think it could be lopsided swim bladder??

if the fish has a lump its going to be off balance anyway...majority of lumps are tumours and some are bacteria filled boils that like tokis has had then burst open infectiong other fish with the bacteria.

if the fish seems to be off balance a lot and becomes contorted maybe best to end its life.

Hi All
Just a quick update on lumpy now he's seen to have blown up like a balloon so have been treating him with swim bladder treatment and the lump seems to be going down but he's still like a balloon at the mo been treating him for 4 days so far got another 8 days to go.

Hi again, you say he's all blown up now - are his scales sticking up from his body, like a pinecone? If so that is usually a sign of dropsy.

Hiya

Thanks for getting back yes he does look like a pine cone and I've had a look of pictures of fish with the condition and he looks like them so what treatment should i be giving him? hope it's not to late.I'm going to quarantine him to day I've got a lend of a small tank of a friend.

Sorry my reply is late :(

Unfortunately, dropsy is almost always fatal, as by the time a fish pinecones, the internal organs have suffered damage.

I think the most helpful treatment is taking the fish out and giving him baths in epsom salt - I just had a quick look at a site that says 1/8th of a teaspoon of epsom salt to approx. 4 uk gallons of water.

Never dealt with it myself and had success, but it might be worth a try.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back