Gold Barbs Bleeding

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

jimjam.hull

Reaction score
Hello,
I am having trouble with my gold barbs, they are about 5 years old and are showing signs of irritation. They are bleeding in patches with the wounds being covered in a kind of white pale slime. I have uploaded a picture to further show the symptoms. I know that our water is fairly hard as we live in a chalky area, but this has never been a problem for any of my fish. I have added no new tank mates, and this has been going on for quite a while. I thought it was just old age but maybe not. When I last got my water tested at the aquarium shop they said that it was excellent so it must not be this.
I keep my fish in a 215L aqua one 980. The fish that are in there are: 2 angelfish, 3 rams,5 bloodfin tetras, 3 bronze chorydoras, 1 albino red fin shark and the two gold barbs also many white pearl shrimps.
I hope I have given enough information as I cannot provide accurate water parameter figures.
Many thanks. gold barb compressed.jpg

Hi there, welcome to the forum. I'm not good with fish illnesses, so I'll leave that to others to help you.

I did just want to say that having your email address as your username is a bad idea, you are opening yourself up to all sorts of nasty types sending you all sorts of spam. I have sent a message to our admin guy to change your username for you (since it's not something you can do yourself).

Is it just the two barbs showing symptoms?

Do you have a spare hospital tank?

I cannot tell 100% from the picture exactly what the problem is. It looks like an ulcerated wound, but the fish also seems to have a sunken stomach. Have you noticed any clear stringy or white faeces coming from the fish?

When dealing with something like this, it would be best to move the two fish if possible and treat them with a general tonic like Esha 2000 (good for everything). I would also recommend using Vitazin - made by waterlife, this you soak the food in and it helps to build up the fish's immune system - which in turn with the esha 2000 will help it fight off what ever is causing the problem.

If however after a few days you do not see any improvement, I would suggest trying a worming treatment, if you do use esha 2000 then use esha gdex as these products can be mixed.

Can't see the pic clearly in zoom-in detail too but it could be that your barb's wound has become infected by a fungus of some sort

Most reactions

trending

Back