Going To Be Away For A Few Days Near End Fishless Cycle

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

villafan82

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi all, i am at the near final stage of TTA's fishless cycle ..eg: At this stage:

"After the maintenance feeding, whenever you test and ammonia is .25 ppm or lower and nitrite is clearly under 1 ppm, it is time to add a full ammonia dose again and test in 24 hours" If ammonia and nitrite both read 0 ppm, you are cycled.

The only problem is i will be away from this evening to Sunday evening.

As there is no ammonia in my tank do i need to do a partial dose to keep my cycle ticking over, and on Sunday when i am back do the full ammonia initial dose as detailed above.

Just worried if i just leave and do nothing for a few days the bacteria will die with no ammonia to feed on?

If there is nitrite clearly under 5 ppm (and all the way down to 0), dose the 3 ppm amount right before you leave and when you return its likely to be close to, or are, ready for a 3 ppm dose and test in 24 to see if you are cycled.

If the nitrite is at 5 ppm, we don't know how high it really is. Therefore a 3 ppm dosing is too high to risk that. You can add a 1 ppm addition close to when you live and this should be safe.

I am assuming you have an API kit is one that is similar.

Hi TTA.

All using the API Kit: Nitrite = 0, Ammonia = 0, Nitrate = around 40ppm

Then hit it w/ 3 ppm before leaving and have a great weekend. When you come back you will find you are cycled is my bet. If you have 0/0, Hit it w/ 3 ppm and test in 24.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back