Going Rimless?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hamsnacks

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed many times and the answer is always you're taking a risk converting a tank into rimless, just thought if I could get some opinions on my tank and situation.

Picked up a tank for free from a member who had it up and running for about a year, just emptied today. The issue with the tank was the trim on the top and bottom were broken/cracked. Went I got it home, the trims could literally be pulled right off.

Dimensions:
35 Gallons
36" Wide
12.5" Deep
18" High

The front and back glass is 5mm, the sides are 6mm.

I was planning on redoing the silicone and keeping the tank rimless.
It will only be full for about a month or so, a temporary home for about 5 fish until I set up my new tank, then will be used for a Fire Belly Newt so about a 40 percent filled, with of course styrofoam underneath.

Opinions? Is the glass thick enough, is the tank small enough, should I glue a glass piece in between?

Thanks

A tank that is 3 foot long x 18 inches high should be made of 6mm thick glass. I have no idea why they would have 5 & 6mm but that's weird.

When you say rimless, what do you mean?

A 3ft long x 18inch high tank should have 6mm thick support strips along the top, and a 6mm thick cross member (about 3-4inches wide) running from front to back (at the top). If the support strips or cross member are broken, then remove them and replace them, or glue them back on.

If you don't want to glue the strips back on, then only have the tank 1/2 to 2/3s full. Filling up a 3ft tank without support strips and cross member will cause the glass to bow outwards and it could crack. If you fill it slowly you will see the glass start to bow outwards and when you notice that, stop filling it and remove some water so it is no longer bowing.

@Colin_T By Rimless I mean no bottom or top black rim.

This particular tank has no support trims or cross members at all. The seller just deleted their ad but I wish I could have shown it completely set up.
I was thinking maybe installing a cross member at the bottom of the tank and also on the top of the tank as well for added strength. Just to be sure, the top cross member literally goes on TOP of the front and back panels, not inside of the tank correct?

Do you think its worth risking?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back