Going back to planted soon

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

@ombomb

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Had a planted tank a long time ago before heading to marine but I'm about to move house and have sold off all the marine gear and livestock. Want to get back into planted after the move and looking for some equipment advice for a tank roughly 120L.

Back on my last planted tank I had T8s but have been totally sold on LED. I've used Kessil on my marine tanks and was looking at the Tuna Sun 160 (2 of them), worth the money over something like the Fluval Fresh and Plant?

Any problems with a JBL Cristal Profi 901?

I've used Kessil on my marine tanks and was looking at the Tuna Sun 160 (2 of them), worth the money over something like the Fluval Fresh and Plant?

I have never owned a Kessil but everything I have read indicates you will probably not find anything better than a Kessil.

I have had no good luck with LED, so after reading Steven's comment I took at look at this unit. My only concern would be sufficient red in the spectrum. The only numbers I can see mention 6000K to 9000K which should be fine around the 6000K end. The Daylight T8's with 6500K are good light, though mixing one with a 5000K is much better as it adds the touch more red. Red is the prime driver of photosynthesis. And, if you did intend red-leaf plants, having even more red is essential as the plants reflect red light in order to appear red, so more is needed for this plus the photosynthesis.

So many LED's are high in the blue, which is good for your marine setups, but not plants, and getting sufficient red is probably the main issue I have found with the LED units I have tried (and returned all of them). But never tried Kessil.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back