Goby indentification?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

stellablu

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Today I went to the LFS and found a small fish in the spiny lobster tank, which was empty otherwise. I asked the owner what kind of fish it was. He didn't know. I said, if he could tell me what it was I'd buy it. He told me I could just have it. Sooo...

Here I face the dilemma of ID'ing this fish. All I know is he is obviously a goby.

I am trying to get a good picture of it, but until then... he is 1" long, grey with vertical stripes. His eyes are a light crystal blue. Spots on the tips of his dorsal.

I have searched countless photo ID websites and frankly, they all look alike to me. I have yet to find one that matches up.

The owner said that sometimes brackish fish get mixed in with the feeders during shipment...which made no sense, but that's all he "knew."

He is very small, but clearly a goby. Once you look he has very nice markings. I thought it was perhaps a Knight goby, but I really don't think it's brackish.

ANY ideas?

I'll try to post a photo of it ASAP...

P.S. Not only did I get a free, if not unidentifiable, fish from the LFS, but they also gave me three clusters of large barnacles for decorations for free instead of $3 each. Rock on!

There are a great number of gobies on sale. Tey are not my strong point but imsure when you get a photo on here then a positive ID will be found by one of the members

I've been browsing photos and I think it might be a Naked Goby, Gobiosoma Bosc.

The lil bugger is sooo tiny that it's hard to get a good shot of his details, but I'm trying! :thumbs:

NIce little fish! Alas i dont know anything about them :( I hope someon on hre can give you a few pointers though.

Here's a photo...after a few days of trying to get him to stay still this is the best I came up with! haha and I'm a photographer! Sad!

DSCN1784.jpg

DSCN1783.jpg

From my guess he is a Naked goby. Any other ideas?

He's in 1.023 right now and doing fine. He is eating everything in sight. He has also taken over the hole that used to belong to my Bumble Bee Goby...also doing fine in this salinity...(I moved him up with the tank from brackish)

I can't find any real substantial information on keeping Naked gobies, though. *sigh*

Nice little fish! i wish i could give you more info on him and what he needs etc but its not a fish i am familiar with. He seems to be doing fine however so you are doing something right! :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back