Tank size: 120L (32x16x12")
pH: 7.8
ammonia: 0-trace
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 20
kH: unknown
gH: unknown
tank temp: 26°c

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

Fairly new to all this and noticed in the last week what I thought might be a loose scale on my GN pleco's head.
My other half spotted it the other day and said "It's just his nose", I suppose a nostril?

Still, he doesn't often sit in a spot convenient enough for me to take a good look at it, and I'm not convinced its a nostril, I can't seem to see such a large bump on the opposite side. Hopefully I'm mistaken though and just haven't had a good enough angle to notice the other one!

He happened to sit in a prime spot for me to photograph it just now and I thought I'd post it up and see if anyone can tell me (despite the not brilliant photos) if this is a normal thing for him or if it's something I should worry about? It does look slightly transparent, but at the same time seems to have his spotting on it. It's not quite as big as his eye. I'd say a 1-2mm in size, but that's looking through the glass. He's only small himself, just over 2 inches I think.

He's not behaving at all out of sorts, in fact in the month we've had him he's gotten into quite a routine, hiding in his cave most of the day and usually venturing out late afternoon-evening, feeding off the glass, silk leaves and sucking on his bogwood (recent addition as he was getting a bit pale - seems to have got some colour back since) - he's quite active. He feeds on alage wafers (when the other fish don't beat him to them) and recently we've started giving peas & bloodworm as a treat - though not sure he's had any himself.

Volume and Frequency of water changes:
20l change twice a week

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:
Currently using melafix after adding fish (one guppy may also have tailrot)

Tank inhabitants:
Little overstocked I'm afraid as per my topic in the newbie forum - but all keeping well.
10x male guppies
6x glowlight tetra
2x golden barb
1x flying fox
1x GN plec
3x cherry shrimp

all are still babies

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):2x glowlight tetra (was advised to increase shoal)
bogwood

Exposure to chemicals:
n/a

Digital photo (include if possible):
mrnugget01.jpg

mrnugget02.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help.
Probably just a nostril and I'm being blonde. I hope!

Size of tank in gallons or litres.
How many fish and which type.
Water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.

Does he look abit thin to you.
What does it look like when he goes to the toilet.
is the anus enlarged, or red and inflamed.
Does he act listless and lethagic.

Does the lump move.
Does the lump look hard, of soft like filled with fluid.
Has teh lump just suddenly appeared.
Any redness around the lump area.

Sorry, Wilder, was just editing in those details. They're in the above post now :)
I don't think he's looking thin, but I have no point of comparison. He's certainly no smaller than when we got him and seems to have grown a bit.
His poo is dark brown, comes out in a string or smaller pieces (~1cm long) and doesn't look straggly.
I can barely make out which bit is his anus unless something is coming out, so I'd have to say no to it being red or inflamed.
Not at all listless or lethargic. He moves around quite happily, either sucking from place to place or letting go and swimming to his next spot.

I haven't seen the lump move, it's been in the same spot but I *think* it's bigger than when I noticed it. I'll be keeping a closer eye now!
It's difficult to tell if it's hard or soft, I would guess soft from the looks of it, especially as it seems slightly see-through.
I noticed the lump around a week (maybe 5 days?) ago but thought it might be a loose scale. Didn't look like ich or fungus - but as I said, I'm new so not sure.
Can't see any redness around it.

Is that where his nostril should be? I've no idea!

I would issolate him and try a bacterial med.
What's your location.
Can you issolate him.

it sounds like it could be bacterial the lump.

I would issolate him and try a bacterial med.
What's your location.
Can you issolate him.

it sounds like it could be bacterial the lump.

Unfortunately we only have the one tank, so can't isolate him.
I'm in the UK. Is there something I could use to treat him in the tank which won't harm the other fish or shrimps (something like Pimafix?)?

I guess it's not a nostril then. >.<;;

Is there anything else it could be that you know of? It does look like it's 'part of him', as in, his pattern continues on the bump.
Could something like this prove fatal if untreated, or can it go away by itself with time?

Just check that the lump not beneath the skin aswell.
Esha 2000. or anti internal bacteria med by interpet.
it always best to remove inverts when using meds.

I guess that means I would need to handle him?

Unfortunately we've got nowhere to move the inverts to while medicating.

Not sure yet that this lump is a problem though as I was able to get a look from a better angle last night and it appears to be in the right spot for his nostril. The other one is not quite so big, maybe a little red - so perhaps he's damaged one nostril and that's why the other looks bigger? Or maybe this one is inflamed. Not sure. Will try to get in some meds and see how the lump looks for a day or two first.

Thanks for the advice :)

Ok.
Let me know how he gets on bless him. That's if you don't mind.

He seems absolutely fine, and I think I was probably just mistaking his nostril for something nasty!
Thanks for all the help though :)
Got another question to post about now, this one is definately a problem. Will make a new topic.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back