Glass Catfish (Kryptopterus Bicirrhis)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GrumpyJohn

Reaction score
Hi, two questions, here goes....

Q1 - this question is aimed at people who have kept glass catfish until they have matured); How big (or small!) does the glass catfish grow to in aquariums?

Online info suggests around 6" but I'm wondering how accurate this is.

Q2 - this question is aimed at anyone who has experience of either species concerned); Would the glass catfish (assuming it gets to 6" in size) be a good tankmate for a fire eel - of end up being eel fodder?

I like the glass catfish and fancy a group of five or so, but they would have to go with my fire eel. I think they would make a good addition; the temperature range is Ok and I'm now reading up on other aspects of keeping them, but if the glass catfish grows too small or is totally unsuitable as a tank-mate then I'l abort the idea.

Thanks in advance for your comments....

I've hade them and they really are fantastic fish. They do get surprisingly big. Mine about 4inch ( biggest). I would suggest minimum of 6. I had 10 of them and the stayed together well.

Donno about the ell , sorry
6inch I don't think so

I've got a group of nine, that I've had for about two years; the largest is about 3"; nowhere near 6"!

I think they would be fire eel fodder, tbh. They like clean, warm, slow moving water, overgrown plants and peaceful tankmates, IME.

Are you talking kryptopterus bicirrhis or kryptopterus minor (the smaller species)? They are different but apparently both sold as glass or ghost catfish. If I were to get any I would order kryptopterus bicirrhis from a reputable dealer, not take a chance on the labelling of an LFS and end up with the smaller variety

Thanks for your comments tho.

fluttermoth said:
I've got a group of nine, that I've had for about two years; the largest is about 3"; nowhere near 6"!

I think they would be fire eel fodder, tbh. They like clean, warm, slow moving water, overgrown plants and peaceful tankmates, IME.
I thought they came from fast flowing rivers?
GrumpyJohn said:
Are you talking kryptopterus bicirrhis or kryptopterus minor (the smaller species)? They are different but apparently both sold as glass or ghost catfish. If I were to get any I would order kryptopterus bicirrhis from a reputable dealer, not take a chance on the labelling of an LFS and end up with the smaller variety

Thanks for your comments tho.
That's right when I was looking add more I found a lfs that had some that were a kinda tan colour and they told me that they were one of the ones you mentioned.

N0body Of The Goat said:
A new species was officially classified (K.  vitreolus) earlier this year, which has been misidentified for years as K. minor.
wink.png

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=16

Yep, but that's still the smaller variety, not the larger Kryptopterus Bicirrhis.

It seems that any site that mentions 'glass catfish' or 'ghost catfish' without adding the scientific name always details the smaller variety, yet seemingly more knowledgeable sites clearly differentiate between the two varieties and consistently state a size of 5.5" / 6.0"

I'll dig further as the the availability of the variety I'm interested in whilst waiting for views as to whether or not specimens of 5.5" / 6.0" would risk being eaten by my fire eel.

Thanks again

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back