Giant Corydora

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ARXC08

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Yesterday I went to the pet store and saw a giant cory. Thought they were really cool and just wondering if anyone kept them? :nod:

I bought some Corydoras melanistius the other day that were very big, but im pretty sure they are just full grown. I have seen some big bronze C. Aeneus around at certain stores. Well at least I think thats what they are. They might be a brochis species :dunno:

I really can't tell from the picture but i wasn't like the normal ones where it was like 3 inches. This was one was huge in mass but only about 5-6 inch.

Ive seen giant cories think they were they were huge in my lfs was tempted to buy one but they cost nearly £12 each. Maybe for xmas :hey:

here are some common fish called cory that are not "true" cories
Brochis multiradiatus Hognose brochis
Brochis britskii Britskis' catfish
both of which reach around 8cm (3.2")
Scleromystax barbatus Bearded cory / Banded cory
Scleromystax macropterus Hi Fin Peppered Cory
both of which reach around 10cm (4")

The biggest "true" cory (so far found in my current research) is
Corydoras robustus Robust cory 8.5cm (3.4")
it maybe one of those you saw

here are some common fish called cory that are not "true" cories
Brochis multiradiatus Hognose brochis
Brochis britskii Britskis' catfish
both of which reach around 8cm (3.2")
Scleromystax barbatus Bearded cory / Banded cory
Scleromystax macropterus Hi Fin Peppered Cory
both of which reach around 10cm (4")

The biggest "true" cory (so far found in my current research) is
Corydoras robustus Robust cory 8.5cm (3.4")
it maybe one of those you saw

I wonder if the Corydoras melanistius I got the other day are actually Corydoras robustus. How common are those? They were labeled Corydoras melanistius on the sheet from which he ordered and they also look like them too. They might just be full grown :dunno: Guess I need to take a better look at them.

Hi ARXC08 :)

It's possible that you might have seen a brochis. They look a lot like corys. The Brochis splendens is sometimes sold under the name of Emerald Green Cory.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/callicht/G_31.PHP

They do look huge compared to most corys! :D

I saw this tonight at one of the big chain stores. It was listed as a "Large" Emerald Green Cory, but as actually a Brochis. I never noticed it before until after I read this topic today. They are definately cool looking :thumbs:

Hi Barracuda518 :)

C. melanistius are really rather large corys. They get round and full bodied like the C. aeneus do when they mature.

The brochis are a different shape. They look a lot bigger because they are taller than regular corys.

I've also heard that C. semiaquilus can get to be very large too. :D

I have two B.splendens with my cories and yes they
do sometimes forage etc together.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back