Ghost Shrimps

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

smithrc

My names Russell.... ....and I'm a
Reaction score
OK folks... We need some help with algae control...

Ottos are out of the question due to lack of sucess with them :(

So.... Ghost Shrimps... they look cool and funky, but will my current stock eat them?

7 Black Rosy Barbs
3 Leopard danios
1 Sword tail
4 Phantom tetras
4 Clown loaches
2 Panda corys
1 Common Plec
1 Sunrise Plec

Its the clowns I'd be most worried about - but then only slightly...

Would they be ok?

Ghost shrimp aren't the best algae removers, at least not in my tank. They might nibble, but if you have a huge problem, they won't make a huge impact on the algae population.

You consider any suckermouths other than otos?

hmm...

I'm just thinking... our fish list has 'dwindled' a bit in there...

I dont really like the SAE's so possibly a couple of sucking loaches...

smithrc said:
So... will they be lunch?
You might want to post in the Cyp. section. I've never kept Clowns, and when I've kept small shrimp with my other loaches(yo-yos, skunk, zebra), the cichlids would get to them first (I think).

I'd say they'd be fine with all the other fish in your sig, but rather than risk it, I'd only get couple. Around here they are $3.99 (US) each, whereas regular ghosts are .40 each or 12 for $2.99 (feeders). I've heard people from the UK refer to Ghost shrimp as "River Shrimp".

We went shopping today...

we ended up with 13 of the amano's

I dont actually konw what they cost me as i got mates rates on them and a new plec ;)

but the went in and cot stuck straight into the algae :nod:

we also decided to trade the rosy barbs in as they were decimating the plants... and they decided the shrimps may be food and got a bit too inqusitive!

we'll be upping the number of phantoms instead :nod:

anyway, here they are before they went in the tank (they soon dissapeared!)

Dscf1655.jpg

yep, She's in the 190L (although not listed in the stock yet)

Ok folks... just checking is this just an old skin?

ghost.jpg

Or have i actually lost one... already.
I wasn't expecting them to shed straight away :)

cometcattle said:
smithrc said:
So... will they be lunch?
You might want to post in the Cyp. section. I've never kept Clowns, and when I've kept small shrimp with my other loaches(yo-yos, skunk, zebra), the cichlids would get to them first (I think).

I'd say they'd be fine with all the other fish in your sig, but rather than risk it, I'd only get couple. Around here they are $3.99 (US) each, whereas regular ghosts are .40 each or 12 for $2.99 (feeders). I've heard people from the UK refer to Ghost shrimp as "River Shrimp".
Are they the same thing? Ghost shrimp and feeder shrimp I mean...

Yep :D
That looks like shedding, just check to make sure that it's hollow as it's kind of hard to tell from the pic :p Unless you already removed it :)

When shrimp die they quickly go from almost completly transparent to a milky white colour, thats if you have the clear kind such as amano or ghost/river. Those skins will happen quite frequently if the water is good quality and food is plentiful. I had thirty in a tank and it was like an elephants grave yard (though shrimp exoskeletons :p ) after a week.

Jon

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back