Ghost shrimps and red shrimps (?)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Lyuba_buk

Reaction score
hi! I sm looking for some piece of advice.
I recently cycled my 10 gallon tank, got one baby betta and three ghost shrimps, one of which died already. I loved shrimps a lot, and bought two more red ones (they didnā€™t tell me the type, but they are red and smaller than ghost ones). Then i read that ghost shrimps eat other shrimps...
what should i do? So far red ones are hiding in my moss. They are not eaten yet, but should i put them in other tank?
The picture of a red one is attached. Thank you.

Attachments

• 6E5854D4-30E2-49D1-A056-C851EDDCF90B.jpeg
    6E5854D4-30E2-49D1-A056-C851EDDCF90B.jpeg
    1,008 KB · Views: 343
The red ones would be cherry shrimp a neocardinia species ghost shrimp probably won't eat the small baby shrimp as I believe they should be too big for that and ghost shrimp aren't that agressive.What you want to be careful of is the betta.Who would probably snack on the shrimp for food.

I wouldnt trust Ghost shrimp and RCS.

Can you post a photo of the " ghost shrimp" please?

Ah yes Nick is right almost forgot that there are two types of "ghost shrimp" actually ghost shrimp which are pretty much harmless then the other kind of "ghost shrimp" that is agressive.

00758327-9D47-40B7-BC9D-B2C62712BDE0.jpeg
I wouldnt trust Ghost shrimp and RCS.

Can you post a photo of the " ghost shrimp" please?
Hi ! Thanks for the response! Pic is attached, itā€™s in the right low corner (i did my best, but they are transparent, itā€™s hard to take a good pic of them).

Ah yes Nick is right almost forgot that there are two types of "ghost shrimp" actually ghost shrimp which are pretty much harmless then the other kind of "ghost shrimp" that is agressive.
Hi! How do I differentiate between two types then?
Thanks!

The red ones would be cherry shrimp a neocardinia species ghost shrimp probably won't eat the small baby shrimp as I believe they should be too big for that and ghost shrimp aren't that agressive.What you want to be careful of is the betta.Who would probably snack on the shrimp for food.
Hi again. For some reason, I thought that cherry shrimps are bigger. Mine are bright ,but tiny. Are they maybe kids? I donā€™t know.
Betta is actually was dealing pretty well with ghost shtimps for a week. Or is it going to react differently to cherry shrimps?

So far, my cherry shrimps have been hiding all the time :( i hope they are getting used to the hew environment... the guy in the aquarium store didnā€™t even mention that there might be a problem. I explicitly said that i have ghost shrimps and a betta.

Yes they are probably young shrimp.The ghost shrimp does appear to be a ghost shrimp so I believe you are good there.Just keep a eye on the betta,

Yes they are probably young shrimp.The ghost shrimp does appear to be a ghost shrimp so I believe you are good there.Just keep a eye on the betta,

Thanks!!!
I watched them this morning, and cherry ones came out from moss looking for food. They seem to be ok with ghost shrimps. Betta is not interested in shrimps in my opinion, but it is very hungry all the time and i have to feed it often so it wonā€™t bother my shrimps.

Betta is not interested in shrimps in my opinion, but it is very hungry all the time and i have to feed it often so it wonā€™t bother my shrimps.
A betta should be fed once or twice a day, 2 or 3 pellets and thats it, any more and you risk overfeeding and this causes all sorts of problems including the death of the fish. IN a Betta tank any shrimp you add should be considered fish food andthing after that is a bonus.

A betta should be fed once or twice a day, 2 or 3 pellets and thats it, any more and you risk overfeeding and this causes all sorts of problems including the death of the fish. IN a Betta tank any shrimp you add should be considered fish food andthing after that is a bonus.

I feed my betta twice a day now (itā€™s a baby), shrimps seem to be ok. Red cherry shrimps are always hiding, but i hope they are making babies ā˜ŗļø

Ps. It was very fun to watch how a ghost shrimp ate a piece of dried bloodworm and i could see it in its body!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back