Ghost Shrimp

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rayjay999

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey, I was thinking of getting some Ghost Shrimp and I was wondering what they eat. Fish flakes? Algae Wafers? Any help would be appreciated!

They eat fish flakes, algae wafers, and anything the fish neglect to eat. They'll basically keep the bottom of your tank clean. However, don't put them in fry tanks, or they'll snare your fry and eat them, too.

If you do get some ghost shrimp, give them some place to hide when they are molting, or else they'll be easy targets for some hungry fish.

Thanks for your help! Do you think any of my fish will eat them when they're molting (Guppies, Honey Gourami, Lemon Tetras)?

I'd be worried about the Honey Gourami doing it, but I don't think the Guppies or Tetras would.

That's a very tiny little Honey then!

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Ghost shrimp are inexpensive to replace, but by providing a small cave for them to hide in where the fish can't get them, then they usually do fine.

Yeah it's small! :p I just got 5 Ghost Shrimp! I actually got 7, but the guy only charged me for 5! :D They're so fun to watch and it's funny to see how they eat! :lol:

They ARE pretty interesting little critters. I had some, but my Bettas ate them. I got sick of replacing them.

Did you know that Ghost Shrimp can live 14 - 16 years !!??!!

They make a great addition to any tank ( as long as the fish are small )

they really do a great job cleaning up left overs...

for the best mix in shrimp get some Ghost ( for eating food ) and some Cherry ( for eating algae ) and you'll have lots to watch !!

:)

I wanted some Cherry Shrimp, but I couldn't find any! Well, actually there was this store that had some "Red Shrimp" so those may be Cherries. I have a question, sometimes the shrimp curl their tails into their body, it lasts for like 5 seconds, what are they doing?

Aside from everything else, mine will eat fish poop. :kana: :clap:

I have a couple that even pick at my apple snails on occasion.....which aggravates me almost as much as it does the snail.

i have even seen myn sit on mr red claw crab and pick off the parasites :fun:
a really cool shrimp is an giant african filter shrimp or also called cameroon filter shrimp. the have long arms with feathery hands that pick out tiny bits of food in the water so cool to watch. only really come out at night though ;)

I know what you're talking about! If I had a higher capacity tank I would have one of those too! All the benefits of having a lobster, without the murders! :nod: :kana:

thats what i thought when i first saw them , i call mine armidillo cos his shell kinda looks like one

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back