Ghost shrimp seem to be rapidly dying

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SnailPocalypse

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So I just got ghost shrimp yesterday and I got 6 Now im down to 4 big ones the other 2 tat died were small what could be the problem?Maybe sickness from before I got them?

Moving the shrimp into a new tank with different water conditions can cause the shrimp to molt (replace their exoskeleton). However if the water is too hard or too soft the molt may not be successful and the shrimp will die. About 40ppm GH hardens is about as low as you can go with shrimp. Not sure what the upper end is on GH hardness. If you are using RO or distilled water in the tank water is probably too soft for the shrimp to molt.

Shrimp are sensitive to water conditions.

Whats your Ammonia Nitrite and Nitrate readings? How hard/Soft is your water?

How did you acclimatize them to the tank?

Hahah Ok well I can for sure telll you my tank is cycled so about
0 ammonia
0 nitrites
and maybe 10 nitrates.

Well lets see I have tetras and a cory in there so problay around 7.1 from what I caan tell
I drip acclimated with a syringe which now I found out doing some research the two that died were sickly with stress and were pretty young and small
the 4 left are big ones that all eat and seem to be healthy I will try to get pictures tomorrow of them again...maybe

Also it was a molting issue I think too.They had kind of a crack where they tried to molt ima play it by ear all seems to be going fine so far.Will post if something goes TERRIBLY wrong.Also could my driftwood may be doing something to the ph to make them not molt? I may get my pool ph test thing to test the ph.

I really cant see a problem with the above. Other than the fact that the Tetras will hunt any baby shrimp.

Also it was a molting issue I think too.

You may be right, But I don't think your water hardness/softness played a part in the molting issue IMO they weren't in the tank long enough for the shells to be affected, I could be wrong.

Silly question.
Are you sure its the actual shrimp you are looking at and not just the shell? I made this mistake, Just asking.

Last edited:
Nope its actual shrimp I can tell cause another sickly small one (the last of them sickly small ones) passed today and he had his eyes and organs and everything so yes im sure.I expected some losses to but now all thats left is the gang that has two females and a male.One has molted the other to have yet to do it.

Have you checked gh/kh? Anything being dosed?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Dont have a test kit.Will problay get one soon but cant afford but I know its cycled so kinda.They were just sick andweak.

Can you take a water sample to your local fish store? Before drawing any conclusions the best course of action would be to ensure your water chemistry is as it should be.

Ok I took it to my friends house (the water sample) and tested it 0 ammnonia
0 nitrite 15 nitrate Ph of 7.0

Need get a gh number

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Dont really know.I only got two left and dont got money to get a test kit.Oh and I fixed the problem with a water change. no more shrimp deaths :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back