Ghost shrimp keep dying!

Maighen

Reaction score
So I moved my betta fish and 1 ghost shrimp into a 10 gallon tank. The betta is doing awesome and appears to really enjoy all the room to swim and explore. I thought my ghost shrimp enjoyed it too but the next day he/she was dead. I thought maybe it was an old shrimp so I went and picked up 2 more ghost shrimp and next day 1 was dead. What am I doing wrong? I do not think the betta is to blame.

Do you KNOW he's not to blame? Most betas will not share space.
I bet if you could set up a little camera ...
you'd catch him harassing the shrimp.

My betta is pretty docile and she doesn't seem to mind sharing her space and that female bettas are better at being a community fish then males are. I read if the betta was to blame the shrimp would be in pieces....of course I'm not 100% sure.

I don't believe that's true about females being better suited as community fish, actually I've heard opposite.
Every fish is different and I've seen some males share their space with neons seemingly happy (in heavily planted tanks).
Although we never really know if the fish is truly ok with their situation which is why it's best to stick with what we read on them to keep them from being stressed at all.
I've seen a lot of people put shrimp in with beta and the beta picks them off as they wish...but in all cases I've seen..the beta DOES indeed pick them off.
I'd leave the beta to herself. If you must try something...maybe a snail? I've seen them harass snails at times also but at least the snail can hide in it's home. Shrimps are delicate little creatures.

I guess that is true. It is so hard to figure out which fish will be able to live together. I saw some snails in the tank with the ghost shrimp maybe I'll give it a try.

I guess that is true. It is so hard to figure out which fish will be able to live together.

If you're looking to have a little community tank, rehome your beta and get some small fish. I wouldn't try to figure out what your beta will tolerate. It's not fair to her and certainly not to whatever you may bring in.

If you're intent on keeping her, try a snail but one that's able to get into their home completely...incase she harasses it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back