Ghost Shrimp Is Pregnant! What Should I Do?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cooledwhip

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I went to my LFS to buy some shrimp for my tank. I had no particular shrimp in mind but I saw the ghost shrimp so I bought 5 of them. They are really cool, but upon putting them in my tank, I saw one had green bubbles under her tail and looked it up and sure enough, she is pregnant. I don't know what to do, this is my first time having shrimp. I have a breeding trap and I put her in there with some substrate/gravel and a clump of java moss. It is getting clean water pumped in from the tank. The breeding trap is only 0.3 gallons though. Am I going through with this right? I didn't know if I should leave her in my main tank because I don't know how long she has been pregnant for and I don't want the other fish to eat the babies. Should I leave her in there? Thanks

I have a baby fry tank for guppies, ironically, the guppies were born yesterday. Could I put the shrimp fry with the guppy fry when they hatch?

Personally I'd leave the shrimplets to fend for themselves.

Because the name "ghost shrimp" tends to be a generic name thrown around for any non-descript shrimp I would hazard a guess that any shrimplets are not likely to survive, depending on what exact species of shrimp the one you have is.
Also chasing a berried (pregnant) shrimp around in order to trap her and the future offspring can stress her and cause her to shed the eggs early, which results in dead eggs.

Most shrimp sold as 'ghost shrimp' need brackish (salty) water for the shrimplets to survive,

If they are ones that can live in freshwater, then they need a mature tank, with gentle filtration (sponge filters are best, but a small internal with the inlets covered will do at a pinch) and lots and lots of live plants to provide the microscopic foods they need at the beginning.

They could go in with your guppy fry, if the tank is cycled and stable, but you should put the mother shrimp in there now and let her release the babies when she's ready.

I'll just let natural selection take it's course. I sort of regret buying them because I never see them. I will just buy some hawaiian cherry shrimp later at my LFS.

I agree that natural selection is best as with other shrimps in my experience

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back