Getting Thin, Dying, Dead!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Stu-pot

Reaction score
Hello,

i've got a 165L community tank. last year i got 10 mixed barbs and since then the fish have been dropping off one by one!

i change the water every 2 weeks and the water continually tests as ideal.

the affected fish (not just the barbs) suddenly looses losts of weight then turns belly up! i don't know what i'm doing wrong, i'm new to tropical fish keeping and have had the tank running for 10 months.

any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

Can you post water stats please.
What test kit are you using.

How many times do you feed aday.
Are all the fish eating well and not losing weight due to not eating.
How old are the fish.
Do any fish have bent spines.
What does it look like when the fish goes to the toilet.
Is the anus enlarged or red and inflamed.
Any worms prutruding from the anus.
Do any fish swim on there sides.
Do any fish flick and rub.
Any excess mucas on fish body, or greyish white patches.
Any fish dart around the tank or swim erratic.

Losing weight can be old age, internal parasites, external parasites, fish tb, the fish isn't eating.

If alot of fish have lost weight could be looking at fish tb to internal parasites.

Hello,

i've got a 165L community tank. last year i got 10 mixed barbs and since then the fish have been dropping off one by one!

i change the water every 2 weeks and the water continually tests as ideal.

the affected fish (not just the barbs) suddenly looses losts of weight then turns belly up! i don't know what i'm doing wrong, i'm new to tropical fish keeping and have had the tank running for 10 months.

any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

what i do is 1 water change weekly 30% to 40% use a decent water conditioner
do not over feed. i.e only put enough food in for all the fish to cosume in a couple of minutes.
i know a few people who recently started up and like to play around with the filter and other things. this is a big NO NO.
when you do water changes dont clean your filters.only if you have a woolen filter pad in your filter. replace that weekly.

hope this helps

wow Wilder, lots of questions! i think i'm gonna look like a real novice now!

water stats? umm, when i go to the fish shop (all the time :blush: ) they test my water and say that its fine

How many times do you feed aday.-------- normally once or every other
Are all the fish eating well and not losing weight due to not eating.----all of them are monster eaters, the barbs stuff in so much they look like balls!
How old are the fish. ------------- nothing more than a year (assuming they were young when i got them - they have all grown)
Do any fish have bent spines.---------------a bit
What does it look like when the fish goes to the toilet.-----------ummm, do they even know they are going to the loo?
Is the anus enlarged or red and inflamed.-----------nope
Any worms prutruding from the anus.-----------not that i can see
Do any fish swim on there sides.------------- only the barbs for a little while after they stuff their little faces!
Do any fish flick and rub.-----------nope
Any excess mucas on fish body, or greyish white patches.---------nope
Any fish dart around the tank or swim erratic.------------only the barbs and zebra danios

i wondered if they weren't eating, however the weight loss seems to come on really quick, then normally within a week they are dead.

so far i have lost: 1 clown loach, 1 brisle nose catfish, 6 barbs and a glowlight danio isn't looking too hot! all this over the space of 5 months?

thanks very much for getting back to me

It's hard to say fish tb without tests done on a fish.

I think I would treat your fish for internal parasites.

What's your location.

Invest in some liquid test kits of your own.

should i take out any fish that look dodgy and freeze them?

i put some metafix in the tank today. will that help?

No melafix is only for cuts and wounds.

The whole tank will need to be treated for internal parasites.

What country do you live in for a med.

You could try this med.
Or phone a vet for some flubenol.

http://www.thegreenmachineaquatics.com/mall/productpage.cfm/Aquatics/_nematol%20001/198936

should i take out any fish that look dodgy and freeze them?

Excuse me for butting in but IMO freezing fish is cruel. You should use a sharp knife and sever the head completely if you feel the need to destroy them. It's quicker and the fish do not suffer slowly freezing to death.

haha, thanks shelby. i was told that freezing was a humane way to euthanase fish? i don't know if i could hold the little blighters still enough to make a decent cut!

i'm gonna start a new topic to get a concensus

stu

hi,

back again.

i went to the shop and was advised to get some myxazin. i have treated for the 5 days recomended. on the first day i woke to a dead glowlight danio (no shock there).

however i gave the last dose yesterday and thismorning all 3 of my glass catfish are dead!!! whats going on??

please help!

thanks

Myxazin is a bacterial med. You need an internal parasite med.

Catfish can be sensitive to m green I tnink. Myxazin has m green in it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back