Getting the right flow

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

kevfiz

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all, i have noticed in my tank that the majority of the fish like to stay near the front of the tank while in my fathers tank the fish tend to use the whole space. My filter is at the back of the tank could the outlet flow be annoying the fish?

How big is your tank, what fish have you got and what filter are you using?

Its possible its too strong but then your father's tank might not be strong enough.

70 litre tank. Eheim biopower 200 filter. I have 2 guppies 4 cardinals 6 ember tetra 4 red phantoms 1 harliquin and 4 otocinclus 1 red tail shark and a zebra.

can you post a short video clip of the fish swimming?

you can try moving your filter to the other side of the tank and see if the fish move.

your fish might be more tame than your dad's fish and are hanging around the front begging for food.

Tried uploading a 10 second video but says file is to large.

pop it on youtube and put the web address on here, then we can go and see it at their site :)

hey here the link. wait until it gets to part were I open lid.

There's a bit of water movement in there. You could try angling the filter outlet so it doesn't shoot across the middle of the tank.

On another note, is your harlequin rasbora slightly curved, it didn't look right?

You want the outlet creating surface turbulence like in the first video but instead of having the outlet facing the diagonally opposite corner, aim it towards the corner that is on the back so the current is flowing along the back of the tank.

call me stupid but I don't understand. is that not what I have done in first video?

sorry I understand now colin. will that not create the same kind of turbulence as the first video tho?

nope your not the stupid one, I am this time :)
I need to sleep more :)

Yeah the first one was doing that. Try angling it to the front not diagonally, just straight onto the front glass. But you might have to move the grey thing next to it.

The Biopowers used to come with a mini spray bar. If yours didn't, you can buy them separately. It's not nearly as big as the spray bars you get with external filters, but I use the one that came with my Biopower and it does spread the outflow.
https://www.eheim-aquarium-parts.co.uk/proddetail/eheim-biopower-200-filter-diffusor-kit-7444068

And the flow rate can be adjusted on Biopowers (and Aquaballs). Just rotate the knob where the straight outflow attached to the ball shaped pump.

if I turn the flow down does it decrease the intake also?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back