Getting rid of algae on gravel?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Aesthetic-fish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So, recently, I noticed some brown algae on my gravel. I did water changes but it didn't go away. It doesn't seem to bother any fish. Btw, my aquarium is located in an area with no direct sunlight at all. It's a ten gallon. It doesn't have any downsides, other than the fact it ruins the beauty of my aquarium. I was wondering, does anyone have any suggestions on how I can remove this simply, and easily? Without washing the gravel? Cause I don't want to remove all the good bacteria. There are currently 5 neons, 1 guppy, and 1 platy. Pls reply soon, and thank you!

Last edited:
First you need to identify the algae. Diatoms are brown and come off surfaces easily. Other types of algae may not. Diatoms are more frequent in new tanks, usually disappearing after a few weeks when the tank begins to settle biologically. Silicates in the water and low light are said to cause it after this period. Organics feed any algae, so keeping the substrate clean may help. Or reducing the overhead lighting. I know I said low light may induce this, but it can appear under any light if organics are feeding it.

IMG_0475.JPG
IMG_0474.JPG
IMG_0474.JPG
IMG_0473.JPG
If you see some floating particle in the water, please don't be alarmed. One of my plants were floating and I had to disturb the gravel to root it down again. Bye, I am doing a partial water change today. Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
I don't see anything abnormal here. You will see this on a white substrate whereas on a darker it is not noticeable.

On the plant leaves, first photo, I take it that is the same? Does it come off easily with your fingertips? I can't tell from photos if this is diatoms or a nutrient issue.

No, it doesn't come off with gentle rubbing. Do you know how I can remove the algae off the substrate during water changes, and without washing the substrate? I don't want to affect the bb. And yes, the algae is the same on the plant.

No, it doesn't come off with gentle rubbing. Do you know how I can remove the algae off the substrate during water changes, and without washing the substrate? I don't want to affect the bb. And yes, the algae is the same on the plant.

Not diatoms, so it is algae caused by light and nutrient imbalance. Light intensity may be too much for the plants to utilize, or too little, or the duration is too long, or the nutrients are insufficient or in excess (one or more). Floating plants is often an easy fix. The white substrate is going to be an issue for you. There is no point in removing the gravel to wash it; even if this did come off and I am not certain it would, it will only reappear.

Just so you know the plant is fake.

I did a water change today, it seems to be cleaner. Thx for your help.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back