Getting back to it after a 25 year break!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bawugna

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My name is Jim and I am finally getting back into the aquarium hobby after about 25 years out of it. I will be setting up a 75 gallon planted tank in the next few months (my wife wants all manner of projects finished first). My plan is to build a custom stand/cabinet complete with book shelves etc. I want it to look like furniture, that is going to be a new challenge for me...finish carpentry.

During my HS and College years I worked in pet shops and wholesalers. I kept mostly rare catfish and cichlids from all over the world. I had some truly amazing stuff. I have been out of it so long that they have changed some of the Latin names!! I hope to get back to it and limit myself to a tank or 2, I used to have a 1000 gallon system for my collection......those days are long gone. I still remember much but am really looking to learn new things and tech the hobby has to offer.

Welcome to the forum.

Wow, a 25 years absence, and used to have a 1,000 gallon tank!

Thats a fair old size and going from that to a what must seem to be a dimutive 75 gallon tank :lol:

What sort of rare catfish did you have?

Very much look forward to hearing more from you and most of all, I hope you enjoy the forum.

:hi:

Ch4rlie,

I did not have a 1000gallon tank, but a 1000gallon system. It was made up of a 200, 150, 125, 55s, 20s, 37s, and lotsa 10s for individual fish.

I had some super large fish like a 40 inch RedTail, a 2 foot long Mystis (I think it is Bagrus now) nemuris, a foot long Electric cat, a 2 foot long Black Doradid, almost every Synodontus in the trade (some near 8 to 12 inches, 2o inch Pseudopimolodus Fowleri (we called it the Ugly Cat), 18" Calophysis Macropterus, foot long Peruno Cat and others. I kept all manner of cichlids too. I was also a Herp guy and kept 2 caiman. I had so much stuff over the years I could not possibly go through it all without sounding like a braggart.

I am sure I will get some good info here, things have changed so much.....but some things have remained the same thankfully.

Thanks for the welcome

Welcome! That 1,000gal system sounds amazing. Best of luck on your new tank. c:

Welcome back to the hobby, I did much the same after a 20 year break and so far have managed to accumulate 10 tanks in the 2 1/2 years since I came back to it. I used to keep mostly cichlids, but since I've been back I find I'm more interested in planted aquariums, smaller fish and now shrimp. So many things have changed in the hobby and mostly for the better IMO.

Munroco, It sounds like you and I have done the same dance! One difference however, I am intent on keeping it to one, maybe 2 tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back