Getting A Bottom feeder

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

kgrehm

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I just got my new 55 gal. tankrady to put fish in. I came to the conclusion and put in some gouramis and bala sharks.

I want to get some bottom feeders but i dont know what. My parents say Plecos. I really like them but i am not sure that it is the best choice. What do you guys think?

What kind of plec were you thinking of? I would advise against getting common plecs unless you are willing to sacrafice a lot of your bioload.

Loaches are always good bottom feeders. Many people would say corries but it depends what you like.

I don't think it has to be one or the other, you could have 2 as long as there's room and they'd get on.

Iv got a common Pl*co in my 60. But hes about 10 inches. Iv also got 2 Rhinos in my 20. I dont think they get as big as a common pl*co. But they are also very cute.

clown loaches or corys I'd say.

clown loaches can grow to 6-10 inches, but very slowly, certainly a lot slower than a catfish.

I have a common plec and he is adorable :nod: He gets on with all the other fish (even the occational baby fish). He keeps my tank nice and clean and I would never be without one.

I'd say a variety of pleco (your choice :p) and maybe some cory catfish. Loaches are also good and there are lots of different varieties to choose from.

I personally like corys. They school and are fun to watch, plus they are more active in the day time then many other bottom feeders.

Mesome said:
I personally like corys. They school and are fun to watch, plus they are more active in the day time then many other bottom feeders.
that's true - my clown loaches are pretty much nocturnal

yeah i've found that catfish are great with all other community fish. and mine do a great job of cleaninthe bottom of the tank too! :D

njparton said:
Mesome said:
that's true - my clown loaches are pretty much nocturnal
Really?

Mine are always out and about, even though there's lots of large bogwood for them to hide.

I think that a smaller plec would be good, if you like them and other smaller ones so you have variety.

Thanks I will go look at the different plecos and cories.

I was thinking or the chocolate pleco, what do you think of that?

kgrehm said:
Thanks I will go look at the different plecos and cories.

I was thinking or the chocolate pleco, what do you think of that?
I think chocolate plecs get fairly large (around 10") and so will take up a lot of your capacity.

You could go with a smaller plec like the clown plec, or the leopard frog plec or the bristlenose which would not take up as much room and would allow for other bottom feeders.

HTH :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back