German Blue Rams Vs Bolivian Rams

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

basti

Reaction score
Hi, I am debating wether to buy a pair of German Blue Rams or Bolivian Rams.
I would be hoping to breed them.
Which are the easiest to breed and best to keep.

I would probably prefer German Blue Ram because i looks better.

Thanks

your water conditions have to be spot on for german blue rams tho they are so sensitive, low nitrates and zero ammonia and nitrite or they just seem to die really easy :/ pairing and breeding is always difficult though... if u want the easy option take bolivian and if u want a challenge take german blues ;)

if u post ur water readings im sure ull get some advice :)

your water conditions have to be spot on for german blue rams tho they are so sensitive, low nitrates and zero ammonia and nitrite or they just seem to die really easy :/ pairing and breeding is always difficult though... if u want the easy option take bolivian and if u want a challenge take german blues ;)

if u post ur water readings im sure ull get some advice :)

Thanks very much, I am not 100 per cent on my water readings. I took the water from my main community tank to fill my new one. My community tank is very clean and all fish look very healthy.

Also does anyone know anything about German blue rams crossed with Bolivian rams. My local fish store has some that they bred themselves.
I am guessing that they would be more colorful than Bolivian rams but less sensitive than German blues.
Thanks

For German Blue Rams or anything under the scientific name Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, your water quality must be spot on as above, the temperature ideally should be between 28-32oC (higher than most community fish will handle) it should have a PH of less than 7 and it should also have a low mineral content. A sand substrate is a must also as this species is an earth eater (geophagus).

For German Blue Rams or anything under the scientific name Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, your water quality must be spot on as above, the temperature ideally should be between 28-32oC (higher than most community fish will handle) it should have a PH of less than 7 and it should also have a low mineral content. A sand substrate is a must also as this species is an earth eater (geophagus).

got to disagree with you about the temps,by german blue rams,are kept at 24c,and spawn every month without fail,they seem to be more tolerant to temp now.

cheers

scott

It is ideal to keep them at a higher temperature as keeping them at temperatures lower than 28oC can slow their metabolism and weaken their immune system making them more prone to diseases such as fungus and hole in the head.

You say you are not sure of your water stats - do you not test your water? Is your tank fully cycled?

German blue rams are tolerant of lower temperatures but do need good water quality. I kept a pair for over 3 years in a community tank without any problems - they are beautiful when fed properly a varied diet including frozen live foods to bring out their sparkling colours. They are also very endearing little fish with lots of character, but if you buy a male and female dont expect them to automatically pair up and they can be aggressive towards each other.

Thanks all for the advice. They would be In their own tank so temperature would not be an issue. I'm not sure if I will get them I might just stick a pair of kribs in that tank.

I love my Bolivian ram. They are mini Geos. They have great color and lots of personality. They are also just so stining cute. the blues are pretty but the Bolivian ram has such a cute face. I have had mine for a few years now and he is great.

I have a single german blue now. I bought them in pairs a few times over the years but they seem to die off. Water stats are good, temperature I have changed between 24 to 28 as I was told that they preferred warmer water when my first two died. I didn't actually buy the last pair, they were given to me. They've never bred for me so I cannot comment on that but I do prefer the look of them to the bolivian ones.

German blues are great, bolivians would be nice too. can highly recommend either one :)

i've had a pair for a couple of months and they are quite happy, don't seem to be particularly hard to take care of or anything!

i've had a pair for a couple of months and they are quite happy, don't seem to be particularly hard to take care of or anything!

That's the thing with the German blues though; they quite often seem fine for the first few months, but only live for a short while :sad:
Best of luck with yours; I hope they continue to do well; keep them warm and clean (nitrates must be kept below 30ppm IMO) and they should flourish :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back