German Blue ram is sick!!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

yvez9

you don't know JACK FISH
Reaction score
Yesterday, he was acting normally

now this morning, i notice that he is breathing heavily and hides all the time. He will sometimes come out and stay near the top of the tank. I'm guessing he has problems breathing. His eyes seem to be popping out too. They are very big. He has a kind of cut on his body, but i thought nothing of it. The female had something similar before and it went away by itself.

As soon as he comes out of hiding, i will put him in the hospital tank with a small filter.

Anyone know what this could be? i found tuberculosis was a possibility and they say to euthanize the fish if this is the case. I will not bring him to a vet.

You will need anti internal bacteria med heavy breathing and gasping at the top of the tank can be gill parasites do the gills look red and inflamed, what are your test results as popeye can be due to poor water quality.

ammonia-nitrite 0
nitrate is around 5
ph is 7

water is crystal clear and other fish seem fine.

I noticed my male has been losing color but that may be because he stays in a dark area of the tank when he's hiding. The female has not changed really.

His gills are not red, they seem fine. I put heavy aeration in the hospital tank. I will put both male and female as they are the only ones showing small wounds on their skin.

I have Melafix right now to try and treat this.

I'm really not sure what disease he has...

Should I just forget about Melafix and get anti-bacterial meds or should I still give melafix a shot?

You will need an anti internal bacteria med to treat the popeye it sounds like the fish has a bacteria infection, popeye is closely related to dropsy.

ok
I'll go to a fish store this evening then

thanks a lot for your help

Just keep an eye on the fish as with the heavy breathing it could be gill flukes which is gill parasites, good luck.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back