german blue ballon ram rapid breathing

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

nighthawk723

Reaction score
I got a German blue balloon ram two days ago and it's still rapidly breathing. Fast breathing about 2-4 times per sec. Hes in a fully cycled 65g tank with 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 0 nitrates. He's the only fish in there until next week when my order comes in. There is a bit of detritus build up but the snails are working on it. He's eating frozen blood worms that sink to the bottom and hides most of the day in the back.

Rapid respiration would suggest something in the water. Or possibly shock from a significant change between store water and your tank water. It also needs warmth, higher than many other tropical fish species, with 80F (27 C) absolute minimum. Recognize though that with this high a temperature you will have fewer tankmate options.

This is not a hardy fish. The balloon shape is achieved by being selectively bred with mid-body swelling and spinal curvature and are notorious for health problems related to swim bladder, digestive, and internal organ deformities,; they are genetically weak, susceptible to disease, and exhibit shortened life-spans. Some believe the fish suffer from this deformation, others are not so sure, but to be honest they should be avoided in order to discourage such things.

Frozen bloodworms should not be fed more often than once a week, as a treat. I'm not at all suggesting this is the problem, so quickly, but it is something to keep in mind for the future; it applies to all fish species. Cichlids do seem to have more problems with bloodworms, if I'm remembering correctly.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence.

If you are adding carbon dioxide to the tank, turn it off or turn it right down.

Maybe add some Activated or Highly Activate carbon to the filter.

I will share based on my experience but I might be right or I might be wrong.
Also, I share this based on the assumptions that your water condition is good without ammonia and nitrite and no overcrowding of fish that can cause the tank water to be lack of of oxygen especially at higher temperature where the water carry lower level of oxygen.

I guess rapid breathing is often due to gill infections by parasites(example: gill flukes).

After keeping Blue Rams or other Cichlids for some time, I still don't have suceess in treating Cichlids that are breathing heavily. All of them died after a while.
Usually when the fish are breathing heavily, they are at quite severe(or last) stage and can be hard to save.

In the past, I tried many anti parasites medication like Praziquantel, Sterazin (by Waterlife), Anti Parasite, Slime & Velvet (by Interpret), Coppersafe (by Mardel) and some of other local brands but without much success. I think "Anti Parasite by Interpret" is the most powerful anti-parasite medication that I have come across but it's also toxic and have to be used with care.

I think the only hope is to try to do "dip" or "short bath" treatment with Methelyne Blue or Potassium Permanganate.

Methlyene Blue(MB) can help in case the fish have "ammonia poisoning" during long transportations.
MB can also help to increase oxygen level in the blood and will be useful if the fish gills are damaged by parasites and have difficulties in breathing.
MB can kill off some parasites or bacterias but it's not as powerful as Potassium Permanganate.

Another solution is to use Potassium Permanganate(PP) as the last resort.
PP can kill many types of external parasites on the gill, skin, etc.

I have some other advice below.

Whenever you buy a fish, observe it for at least 10-15 mins or more to ensure that you are buying a healthy fish.
Make sure fish is active swimming or moving around.
Make sure the fins and tail are not clamped but wide opened.
Make sure the fish is not breathing heavily but as normal.
Make sure no abnormalities on the bodies (eg.crooked body, white spots, etc) and the head(eg.holes in the head).
Make sure the fish is not scratching against the tank or things inside the tank.
Look around the tank and make sure other fish are healthy as the above.(especially no scratching or having white spots on ther bodies).

Whenever I bring home a new fish, I will treat the fish immediately with Methelyne Blue(MB). You can put the MB directly into the plastic bag that carried the fish.
MB will kill off some parasites, help to increase oxygen level in the fish blood and most importantly, it will help in case of ammonia poisoning during the long transportation(from the fish breeder to the fish shop).

Later, I will post some web links for information of MB and PP.

Here is a good website on Methelyne Blue(MB) and Potassium Permanganate(PP).

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumMedication3.html

Take note that MB and PP will stain everything that it come into contact with.
So wear glove whenever you use it and keep them far away from your clothing and carpet, wood, porous material, etc.
Use a pail for dip or short bath and do not use them in your main tank.
You can also use it in a quarantine tank but it will stain your tank.

I forgot one very important advice.
If possible, "never" keep snail in your Rams or Cichlids tanks.
Snail can easily bring parasites into your tank that is hard to kill and almost impossible to eradicate from tanks that have sand/gravel and plants.
The plants will absorb the medications and reduce the effectiveness of the medications. Sand/gravel will provide hiding place for the parasites to escape the medications(my opinion).

As Bryon mentioned, Balloon Blue Ram is not a hardy fish but I have started a new collection of Blue Rams, Golden Blue Rams and Electric Blue Rams recently.
You need to maintain the water clean and free from ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
I do large water change once a week.

They are absolutely stunning.
Also, buy the "bigger" Blue Rams that you can find as they are more hardy than the young ones which die easily.
The bigger, the better.

Lastly, I am not an expert as I am still learning.

All the best!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-01-16-10-01-10-88.png
    Screenshot_2019-01-16-10-01-10-88.png
    857.5 KB · Views: 525
Rapid respiration would suggest something in the water. Or possibly shock from a significant change between store water and your tank water. It also needs warmth, higher than many other tropical fish species, with 80F (27 C) absolute minimum. Recognize though that with this high a temperature you will have fewer tankmate options.

This is not a hardy fish. The balloon shape is achieved by being selectively bred with mid-body swelling and spinal curvature and are notorious for health problems related to swim bladder, digestive, and internal organ deformities,; they are genetically weak, susceptible to disease, and exhibit shortened life-spans. Some believe the fish suffer from this deformation, others are not so sure, but to be honest they should be avoided in order to discourage such things.

Frozen bloodworms should not be fed more often than once a week, as a treat. I'm not at all suggesting this is the problem, so quickly, but it is something to keep in mind for the future; it applies to all fish species. Cichlids do seem to have more problems with bloodworms, if I'm remembering correctly.
thanks!

Here is a good website on Methelyne Blue(MB) and Potassium Permanganate(PP).

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumMedication3.html

Take note that MB and PP will stain everything that it come into contact with.
So wear glove whenever you use it and keep them far away from your clothing and carpet, wood, porous material, etc.
Use a pail for dip or short bath and do not use them in your main tank.
You can also use it in a quarantine tank but it will stain your tank.
thanks for all the help!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back