Gardneri Panchax Killifish:

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

lillykinloo

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello everyone! :) I am in the process of cycling a 37 gallon aquarium and am thinking about stocking options. So far, I know I will have these fish:

5 Diamond Tetras (right now, I have 2 females and 3 males- the females are about 1 inch long & the males are about 1.5 inches long)
3 Pearl Gouramis (1 male & 2 female)
5 Cory Cats (undecided on the type of cory cat)

The temperature is set at 78 degrees, and the pH is approximately 7.2. I am interested in adding a pair of Gardner Panchax Killfish (Fundulopanchax gardneri). Would this Killifish be appropriate for my aquarium? I have read that not all Killis are appropriate for the community aquarium, and I am concerned about the Killis nipping at my Gouramis' tails or trying to eat the tetras or cory cats. What is your opinion on this?

Thanks again for everyone's help! :thanks:

I believe I have killis similar, if not the same as, the ones in question, and from my experience, I would strongly recommend against keeping them with other fish. My killis had (have, they are kept separate from other fish) a taste for eyes and were very nippy, mo matter what they were kept with.

I believe I have killis similar, if not the same as, the ones in question, and from my experience, I would strongly recommend against keeping them with other fish. My killis had (have, they are kept separate from other fish) a taste for eyes and were very nippy, mo matter what they were kept with.

Thanks, Dwarfs! A lot of websites are misleading and label the Killifish as "peaceful community fish." I sure am glad I found this forum before adding them to my tank! I guess I'll pass on the Gardneri for now. I'll just add it to my wishlist for later tanks. Thanks again!

Hi,
Fundulopanchax gardneri can be kept in the community aquarium but only with fish of around similar size. I would recommend you choose Aphyosemion australe as an alternative or even Aphyosemion striatum. Fp. gardneri can be a bit boisterious when adult.
Please note that a tight fitting lid/hood/cover glass is a necessity when keeping Killifish. Subdued lighting and a dark substrate show them off to their full potential.
I hope this was of some help.
Regards
BigC

Hi,
Fundulopanchax gardneri can be kept in the community aquarium but only with fish of around similar size. I would recommend you choose Aphyosemion australe as an alternative or even Aphyosemion striatum. Fp. gardneri can be a bit boisterious when adult.
Please note that a tight fitting lid/hood/cover glass is a necessity when keeping Killifish. Subdued lighting and a dark substrate show them off to their full potential.
I hope this was of some help.
Regards
BigC

Hi BigC! I'm glad to hear from you since I've read that you're the resident Killi expert, and I was hoping you might have some insight. :) I really like both the Aphyosemion australe and the Aphyosemion striatum. I think the australe is probably my favorite, but I read that this little guy can be a bit nippy. Do you think he would give the Pearl Gouramis trouble in competing for tank space in the top portion of my aquarium? Is the striatum any less nippy than the australe?

Thanks again!

Striatum would indeed be a little less nippy as you put it but I think things would be fine with the Australe. It is a misconception that Australe only inhabits the upper water layers, in my experience over 30 years of keeping Killifish Australe seems to prefer the mid to lower levels so would never be in direct competition. Feeding live foods might exasperate the trait though as the killifish may mistake the feelers of the gouramies as a tasty worm. All the killifish mentioned will readily accept dry and frozen foodstuffs.
Regards
BigC

Striatum would indeed be a little less nippy as you put it but I think things would be fine with the Australe. It is a misconception that Australe only inhabits the upper water layers, in my experience over 30 years of keeping Killifish Australe seems to prefer the mid to lower levels so would never be in direct competition. Feeding live foods might exasperate the trait though as the killifish may mistake the feelers of the gouramies as a tasty worm. All the killifish mentioned will readily accept dry and frozen foodstuffs.
Regards
BigC

Thanks so much, Big C! I think I'm going to keep an eye out for one of these varieties. They can be difficult to find in the US. I might have to try an online breeder. Thanks again! :)

Look up the American Killifish Association (AKA) or some of their affiliated societies Im sure you will get fish for next to nothing if not for free.
Regards
BigC

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back