Gah! It Won't Go Away!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LyraGuppi

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Okay, I have been slacking on this topic for a while.

Here are some piccys of the awful algae I've been having in my 5 gallon.
I purchased a nerite to clean up, but he either can't get on the leaves where the algae is growing, or he avoids it.

006_zps7071c699.jpg

The tank is in front of a window, and I want to relocate it.
So how do I get rid of it?

005_zps3021a160.jpg

From the photos I would suggest this is a form of brush algae.  Obviously light and nutrients (organics, minerals) cause it.  Once you have the light intensity and duration balanced with the nutrients and sufficient for the needs of the plants and no more, you will not see it.  I have dealt with this algae a few times over the years, and always brought it under control by working out the balance of light/nutrients.

Tanks in a window are very difficult to control when it comes to lighting.  As you intend relocating the tank, presumably with an overhead light, this will make things much easier.

I can't say much about the nutrient side of the equation without knowing the tank data (fish, feedings, plant fertilizers, water changes, GH of source water.

Byron.

hi.... just going back to snails, the nerite snail...just guessing you have a zebra are usually just too heavy to balance on the leaves, but there is a snail called the horned nerite thats small enough and light enough to perch themselves on leaves.

I had some black beard algae in my tank. [SIZE=14.4444446563721px]My affected tank sits right across a large window, another tank that does not have any BBA is located in the corner next to the window. [/SIZE]I learned that if you have a planted tank it is beneficial to add liquid carbon or CO2. Some people have treated this type of algae with dosing liquid carbon directly on affected leaves. 

Black Beard algae is very hard to remove from the leaves even when dead and instead of doing any treatment I just remove these affected leaves. I didn't have to remove any leaves for a while now, it has gotten a lot better.[SIZE=14.4444446563721px] [/SIZE][SIZE=14.4444446563721px]As someone already mentioned, getting your tank's water chemistry balanced is the key.[/SIZE]

And if I remember it correctly there aren't any fish or critters that eat this type of algae. 

My nerite proved me wrong right after I typed this. :lol:

Thanks for the advice, guys!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back