Fx6 Pumping Thousands Of Air Bubbles Help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

paradiddle

Fish Crazy
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
My new fluval fx6 is pumping millions of air bubbles into my tank and making glugging noises like there is air trapped?
I've turned it off and on several times and it self primes and then shuts off to evacuate air every 12 hours but my tank is barely visible due to air bubbles!

They were supposed to have fixed the issue when they went from fx5 to fx6! I remember reading about this, that it was a design flaw.
I've not used this filter so this is just going by complaints I've read elsewhere on the fx5 that it could be fixed wither with a new lid or sometimes by reducing the amount of media in the top rack. Hopefully someone with actual experience will post...if not maybe try removing half the media from the top rack temporarily and see if it works.

Are you running any foam in the centre of the trays? if so remove it. You cant run fine foam on these either, you want to run the standard foam on the edges and centre should be full of media, top centre should be half full also.
In my experience with these filters they are best used as a bio filter and not a water polisher
Most people run a secondary filter as a water polisher.

I've got some fine filter wool in each tray to catch small parts should I take it out?

i got this filter, and had the same problem, i found it was relating to the pipe to the in and out. got to make sure they are tight with no slack in them

paradiddle said:
I've got some fine filter wool in each tray to catch small parts should I take it out?
Yeah, also make sure your outlet pipe is higher than the pump. Try the outlet pipe first then if stills does it take the wool out.

hey guys..1 week owner of FX6. have the same problem. after i turn on my filter about 40 mins later it starts doing strange noises in the filter and many airbubles in the tank. i tried everything. now i run it without any media on the top tray..just the bio and mechanical on the lower and center media and some foam on the sides. its so annoying having a new tank and your filter doesnt work. any solutions discovered?

I know this post is now a month old but in case you haven't sorted it yet check that your inlet and outlet hoses are properly seated on top of the canister, you should hear them click into position.

I just had this issue with my FX6 which is actually in a turtle tank. For me, the issue was caused by the water level being low enough for air to be sucked into the joint on the hard plastic suction tube.

Attachments

• IMG_2128.JPG
    IMG_2128.JPG
    1,019.5 KB · Views: 1,093
I'm not familiar with this filter but it's possible there is a leaking seal that is sucking in air, have you greased the seals at all?

My new fluval fx6 is pumping millions of air bubbles into my tank and making glugging noises like there is air trapped?
I've turned it off and on several times and it self primes and then shuts off to evacuate air every 12 hours but my tank is barely visible due to air bubbles!

I solved the problem by reducing the flow rate on the out valve. It appears that the out valve was pushing water out of the canister faster than the in valve brought water in. Although water tight, the canister is apparently not air tight. Thus air built up in canister. By slowing the water's exit from the canister I reduced the air build up in it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back