Fussy Bristlenose Female Pleco Prob

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cowgirluntamed

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Ok, I don't think this is an emergency as of yet so I decided to post it here. Hopefully you can follow my story on Spots, my female bristlenose pleco. I believe she's about 2 years old now I think....almost 4 inches in length. She lives in a 20 gallon high tank with 3 glowlight tetras and 7 black neon tetras. I haven't tested the water just recently but it's normally stable around 0-0.25 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10-20 nitrates and ph is 8.2.  The gh and kh seem to fluctuate a tiny bit but stay in a general range(I can't think of exact numbers right now, but on the paper that tells how to test, it says my water can be good for cichlids so yeah....tetras seem to be doing REALLY well though, even breeding behavior every now and then so I take that as a good sign). Temperature is 77 degrees.

Well, a while back, my HOB filter broke down. I had a sponge filter handy so slapped that in their quick and kept up with water changes until it settled(I also changed the substrate from gravel to sand as well, so sort of ruined the bio filter.) Actually, my HOB was up and running and the sand is what ruined it! Lol. Then I put the sponge filter in there. Glowlights lost color and that's when I knew my water quality was going down but it just did a mini cycle with my water changes so everything got better. Anyway, I wanted a canister filter so I bought a SunSun 402b. It's a 3 stage filter(3 baskets) with a 9w UV sterilizer(I don't use this but thought it would be good to have "just in case"), 265 gph made for up to a 75 gallon tank. I set this up nicely and put it to where the spray bar was angled up toward the top of the water. (basically pushing water across the top like the HOB filter did)

Now, during this time...one of my dogs got into my fish food....ate all of my pleco's algae wafers as well as a bunch of freeze dried stuff and some flakes. Yay....so...I got online where I ordered the food before(they LOVE seachem's nutri diet tropical flakes...) and they didn't have the algae wafers that I usually bought at petsmart, so I got some Hikari mini's. WAY smaller than I thought they'd be but I gave them a try. No go....So she didn't eat for a week then, until I got her regular Aqueon Algae wafers. She ate one. I feed her every three to four days(oh yeah, she's got driftwood in there to chew on as well, and her castle that she HAS to have...that's another story...lol...).

Well, on March 29th I put in some floating water sprite. It seemed to only stay in one small corner away from the light, so I moved the spray barn down a bit to where it was pointing straight out, so not to the top any more. This is when I noticed a slight change in Spots. I believe I did a 25% water change before I added the plants, did not treat the plants with anything either. So, I really didn't think too much of Spots less active behavior and the fact she was hanging all over the driftwood. (I think this next part started earlier than this behavior...but she had found a spot under one of the pieces of driftwood that was angled towards the bottom and she would lay on her back without being attached to the driftwood. *shrugs*). I did get a bit off with my water changes....So the tank kinda got a bit dirty and I noticed those little white buggy things crawling around on stuff. I think those are copepods? Can't remember. I've had them before and they didn't seem to bother any body.

So...Spots started hanging out on this driftwood a LOT more. And then I noticed she was starting to "twitch" her tail and a fin a bit. I did not see anything at all on her. She also did not want to eat at all. It's been 2 weeks I believe since she's ate any thing. 4 days ago I did a 50% water change. Spots was breathing heavier it seemed. When I did this I repositioned the spray bar to point towards the back of the tank and slightly down, to help my water sprite not be in one corner. I waited a day, and Spots seemed to breathe even heavier. She also wanted to stay next to the heater, and was sort of leaning against it. She couldn't hardly keep a suction to the glass. (The heater is her "safe" place at times as she likes to try to change her spots to match it, how she got her name lol. She's done this since she was little when I got her.) I also thought I saw a really really thin, what looked like a hair to me, coming out of her uh..cloaca? Don't know what it's called in fish...lol. It's not there now. I think it was just a hair....I have dogs and cats in the house, and myself...so it's hard to keep it out of the tank all the time.

Suffice it to say, the day after I did another 50% water change. (I forgot to add Prime the first time, but it was no worries as I'm on well water and don't have chlorine/chloromines). I did add 20 drops this time though to make up for it. The only other thing I could think of doing was to change the spray bar back to the original position I had it in in the first place just to "see" if it would help. I also took out the castle and driftwood and scrubbed them mostly clean and put them back in. So, not too long after that(maybe 10 minutes?) she went back to her castle! Oh yeah...she also burned her back and top fin on the heater as well during this time. Anyway...I gave her yesterday to see how she was. I missed her coming out of the castle and she was back by the heater. However, this time she was a lot higher on the glass, laying flat against it with nice suction, and not breathing heavy anymore! So, this morning I tried an algae wafer hoping my problems would be over.....no luck. :( *sighs*

She's STILL by the heater and when I go over there I think I stress her a bit and she starts to breathe a little heavy again. I don't want Spots to starve to death. I have to get her to eat...but how??  She seems way better stress level wise now but something is still wrong as she won't eat and is still not swimming around much. She usually goes all over the tank and isn't scared of me a bit. All the tetras seem perfectly fine too so it's just Spots. Oh and she usually is top notch with keeping algae in check. I started to get either more diatom algae(though this tank has been going for 2 years with same decor), or maybe brown spot? If that's a type of algae anyway. It was on the castle and it was on my glass in brown "spots" so yeah...(I think this was due to be playing with the RGB lights on my new LED light I got..not necessarily her not keeping the glass clean).

I want to get her to eat again...any suggestions? I've never tried any vegetables...always just done the algae wafers with her along with her driftwood. I'm willing to try almost any thing as long as it's not too difficult. Lol. Oh and she doesn't seem skinny either, still looks nice and plump to me. I can get a picture if you want as well as new test results if you want as well. Please help! (Also, if you think this needs to be in the emergency section, please go ahead and move it or let me know to repost it there. I just didn't feel it was too much of an emergency just yet but could be soon if she doesn't eat). Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Yes, it would be helpful ( I think... I have no idea why your pleco isn't eating...) if you posted a picture and test results.

On your pleco laying upside down beneath the driftwood... I stumbled across a thread the other day with people saying that their plecos did this too.

Try giving her fresh veg.

I feed mine
Omega One Veggie Rounds
Hikari Algae Wafers
Kens veggie sticks.
Blood worm
Brine shrimp
Every now and again a tiny bit of OX heart
New Life Spectrum Thera Plus pellets.

And they need fresh veggies.
This is a list of vegetables and fruit that are popular with most plecs.

Zucchini/Courgette
    Cucumber
    Peas (deshelled)
    Sweet Potato
    Green Beans
    Melon/Melon rind

Aubergine/Egg plant
    Avocado
    Broad Beans
    Broccoli/Stalk
    Butternut Squash+ other squash
    Capsicum/Bell pepper(not the hot ones)
    Cauliflower/Stalk
    Carrot
    Coconut
    Grapes
    Kale/Collard Greens
    Kiwi Fruit
    Lettuce
    Lima Beans
    Mango
    Mushroom (common plecs and goldspots love mushroom)let it float,they will reach it.
    Papaya
    Potato
    Pumpkin
    Spinach
    Sprouts
    Swede
    Tomato
    Yam

Do the vegetables need to be fixed any certain way or just rinsed off? I was wondering if I should try something I could sort of stick right next to her instead of letting it drop at least at first. I have frozen sweet peas but the tetras would eat those too, not that that's a bad thing, but I just don't think she'd get off the glass to eat it. Also, in one of the pictures, it's hard to see, but part of the inside of her mouth is a bit red. I have it circled(it's the left side of it and the right side is normal looking. Could that have something to do with her not eating? Not a clue how she would have done that....). I also showed where the burn marks are on her back(and 2 membranes of the top fin got burned too). She's actually done this before and healed well with clean water though, so I'm hoping that's all this will be. Test results will be after the pictures!

Spots3.jpg

Spots2.jpg

Here is the one where inside her mouth is weird. Like I said, it's the left half in the picture and the right side is normal. It's the thing inside her mouth, her tongue maybe? I'm really not for sure but it was deeper back in the mouth. I'm bad at fish anatomy...sorry!

Spots1.jpg

New water test results! About what I expected so at least it's nice and stable!

Ammonia-0-0.25 (color was in between)
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-10
pH-8.2
GH-15
KH-13

I just rinse them off and use a fork as a weight to keep it down.

Ok so I bought a zucchini squash and a mini watermelon. I don't know if she'll eat either of these but at least I can and will eat the watermelon. Lol. I will probably try this tomorrow morning just to give her another day to relax. Hopefully she'll be better and eating soon. One question, should I feed this like I do the algae wafers, every 3 or  4 days? Or just however much she'll eat?

I just put  a bit on a fork and leave it in for a few hours and my BN's eat as much as they want, I feed a different bit of veg every other day.

Thanks Nick! I'll see how she does come morning. Maybe I can figure out how to clip a fork to the edge of the tank where she is hanging out so she can get to it better...cross your fingers!

try a suction cup, Also has she got a cave or someplace to hide?

Well, put some zucchini on a fork and put in there. No luck. After a bit I tried to see if I could get it close to her to see if she'd latch on...sort of chased her around a tiny bit so no luck there. I'm leaving it in just to see what happens though. I have a feeling it won't work though. Guess I can try watermelon next but doubt even that would entice her to eat.

As for hiding places...this is the most stubborn fish I've ever dealt with. She has to have her castle in there at all times. (I've tried other decor and she hated it...put the castle back in and in she went....) This is how I knew something was wrong with her as she wasn't wanting to go in it!!
sad.png
I thought maybe the water flow thing when I changed the direction of the spray bar made some sort of weird current so she didn't like it. But I changed it back..she was in it for a day, well, actually, she went in and then came out and hung on the side of it. I think she was in it the next morning and then the next time I saw her she was by the heater and has stayed there ever since. I just don't know what to do
sad.png
I also got a picture of her poop too which is definitely not normal. But then again...she's not eating...I don't think it's a worm but I don't know if I should treat this or not. Let me know if you think I should add this to the emergency board but I'll just post it here for now. I may try to get another picture of her mouth soon but she's on the heater itself now that I chased her around and not the glass. So can't see it yet. I'm sure she'll get off of it when it kicks on though. Anyway, here is the picture of her poop.

spotspoo.jpg

No luck with the zucchini. I took it out after four hours. Guess I can try watermelon tomorrow morning. This is just so frustrating...I don't know why she's not happy. :(

Ok.

Put a bit of zucchini in over night while the lights are off,

If she doesn't want the watermelon this morning I'll try putting zucchini in tonight then.

Don't know if we have those catfish scrapers around here in the States. I'll keep trying though. I'm also going to get some PVC to put in there for another hiding place. I'm wondering if maybe she outgrew the spot in her castle she hung out at when she was in there. And to think....I never thought I would have such a picky spoiled fish in my life! Lol. But I do love her so want to do what I can. By the way, do you think her weird poo is just from not eating?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back