tank temp: 78
75 gal tank

Common pleco 5 yrs old.
Tank mates:
2 bala sharks 5 yrs old
3 zebra loach one that is 5 yrs old
2 upside down catfish
10 tetras

Just got the 75 gal and need 120 but hubby won't let me so will be re-homing the balas.

Anyone have any ideas what this is on the outside of my plecos mouth and on his side? Fungus? Noticed it when i transfered the fish to 75 gal about 4 months ago.He acts normal, eats, sits under his tree coming out on occasion during the day and swims at night. None of the other fish have it.

I've also posted the 2nd picture before it hasn't gotten any bigger but still there.

Would like help with what's going on in the first picture.
4b2bd55ee23d3f8f3cc20bb47877c102.jpg
67c6446c7840dd99d367ab5b0dcc13d9.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

In the top picture, I'm just wondering if the fish is damaging itself on the substrate when grubbing about looking for food.

Top pic again, the top half of the fish appears to be cream or have a partly cloudy opaque appearance. Is that the fish or the picture?

If the fish has a cream/ white or opaque colour to it, then that is excess mucous/ slime on the fish's body and is caused by something like chemicals in the water irritating the fish, or a protozoan infection.

It does not look like fungus tho.

In the top picture, I'm just wondering if the fish is damaging itself on the substrate when grubbing about looking for food.

Top pic again, the top half of the fish appears to be cream or have a partly cloudy opaque appearance. Is that the fish or the picture?

If the fish has a cream/ white or opaque colour to it, then that is excess mucous/ slime on the fish's body and is caused by something like chemicals in the water irritating the fish, or a protozoan infection.

It does not look like fungus tho.
It's the way I took the picture. The substrate is peegravel which is smooth and is one of the substrates recommended for plecos when I did a search although that doesn't mean it's not hurting him. Just trying to figure out what they gray mustache like growth is on its mouth (upper lip) and whatever is on the side.

Maybe could be a scratch on the side. I put a piece of lava rock in about 2 months ago and had to take it out the next day. He may have scratched it in the 24 hrs the rock was in.

My common pleco is sick and one of the zebra loaches keeps picking at him and pulling pieces of him off. The pleco does try and get away but they keep coming back at him. Hes floated a few time to an almost erect position then goes back to the bottom of the tank. He swims to the top of the tank to get air I can barely see his gils moving. I did my weekly water change today i use Prime and Stress Guard and everything was fine but now my plecos fins are clamped and he has patches of white.
75 gal tank
7 in pleco
2 balas 6 and 7 in
1 yoyo loach about 1 1/2 inches
2 harlequin raspboras
2 zebra loach (new)
1 adult glow tetra and 1 young
4 neons 1 adult
2 upside down catfish

2 canister filters: rena and Penn plax 1000

Water parameters.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 40
Ph 7.24

I notice your nitrates are fairly high. FWIW my bristlenose regularly had visible slime / mucous until I started filtering my water (which is 50ppm out of the tap). May not be related but just a thought.

post a picture and video if you can

try to separate the pleco from the other fish so they don't eat him.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back