Fungus Medication Safe For Fry ? Which One ?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

samusaran

Reaction score
I have a 10 gal tank and some of my bigger guppies got fungus, and I would like to treat them, but I also have many fry (platy and guppy) in the same tank. Is there a medication for the fry ?? I have some methyl blue, aquarium salt and Tetra Fungus Guard.

Hi, sorry for the late reply!

You will have to treat the fungus and hope the fry make it; they're pretty tough. I would try the salt, unless you have any salt sensitive fish (mainly catfish, loaches, dwarf cichlids), as livebearers are generally very salt tolerant.

Hi !! Thanks for the reply.

I treated the tank with one table spoon of aquarium salt (half the dose), I want to be careful with the salt, I have one panda cory and a couple of dwarf (pygmaeus) cory in the same tank. At first I thought it was only fungus, but I have a guppy with what seems to be internal problems, I will have to separate it from the others. The other two guppy (new guppy, had them for three days only) have clamped fins and tail. All my water parameters are fine and I did a 15% water change this morning to be on the safe side.... Maybe the stress... I may have to try half a dose of Tetra Fungus Guard.

All the other fishs in the tank are fine (2 otos, one male betta, 2 platy, a couple of cherry shrimps and one very lonely microrasbora galaxy).

I had a high level of nitrates last week that lasted for a couple of days (now it's OK), maybe it's the cause of all my problems. Always had more problems with water parameters in smaller tanks, the levels can change rapidly in about 24 hrs.

Again thank you for your help. I hope to see some progress.

Updates... Fungus/Columnaris/other...

Well, I lost almost all my female guppies, only two left. I treated the tank with Tetra Fungus Guard (for 3 days now) , but it's doesn't seem to work. I think I may have a COLUMNARIS problem, I don't know.... Each fish had different symptoms. Some with little cottony growths at the edges of fins, two with internal bleeding, one with an open red sore, another with mouth rot. I had a similar problem some months ago, and it wiped out almost all my guppies (always the guppies...).

All my water parameters were fine, the only thing I think of is that could have been introduced in the tank with some new fish or shrimps I bought last week.

I have other fishs in the tank, and I didn't lose any of them : one male betta, a little microrasbora galaxy, 2 female platys, 2 otos, 1 cory panda, 3 cherry shrimps, and a couple of dwarf cory. I even have about 15 guppy and platy fry (some only days old), and all seems in perfect health.

I will wait till the end of the treatment with FUNGUS GUARD, do a good water change, and maybe start another treatment with API TETRACYCLINE, to be sure to eraticate the problem.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back