Fungal infection - help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ob1

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
:(
Just got 3 new rasbora from a good shop, however after couple of hours one of the small chaps devloped a small white cotton bud on it fin. A couple of hours after that he is showing signs of more white patches (just one).

Should I remove the fish now? I do not have a backup tank -yet.

I have recently changed the water 1/4 and completed a series of tests today using my new testing kit.

General Hardness 200.00
Carbonate Hardness 100.00
Iron Non Chelated 0.00
Iron Chelated 0.00
PH 7.60
Nitrite 0.00
Calcium
Ammonia 0.00
Nitrate 5.00
Phosphate
Temp 28.00

Have also put ICH treatment in - due to introducing new fish today.

Really concerned about other fish - as some are over 5 years old. Would perfer to remove infected fish however would like to try to save him/her.

any help would be appreciated.

It could just be the stress of moving, but what's your temperature in there? Low temperatures can cause fungal infections. Maybe the fish got chilled when you transported them.

Most ick treatments also treat fungus, so that should be OK. Increase the temperature in your tank and add some salt. If you've got some Melafix, I'd bung that in as well. Since you've already added the fish I think the damage is done, and besides, you've already started treating the whole tank.

Sometimes these fungal infections can resolve themselves in a matter of hours with the right treatment. Good luck!

:(

He did'nt make it, found this morning at the bottom of the tank, I think my angel fish had his eye on the small chap.

Alien Anna, thank you for replying so fast, most appreciated.

However still confused

should i have removed the fish? if i had a spare tank would it have been better to put him there?

should i get a small tank for new arrivals?

Is Fungal infection contagious?

Adding salt, i heard my catfish do not like salt?

I will obtain some treatments today thinking about getting

Fin Rot & Fungus control
Bacteria Control
Safe Water
Methylene Blue.

PS General Hardness my test kit returns mg/l do you know how to convert to dH, is it simply divide by 100?

PSS my Nitrate is at 5, is this bad? water change on Sunday

General Hardness 200.00
Carbonate Hardness 100.00
Iron Non Chelated 0.00
Iron Chelated 0.00
PH 7.60
Nitrite 0.00
Calcium
Ammonia 0.00
Nitrate 5.00
Phosphate
Temp 28.00

thanks

Jason

:sad:

Every medicines are toxic to fishes. You shouldn't put medicine if there is no reason and you shouldn't put wrong medicine either - it could cause bacteria/parasites which are more resistant to medicine and medicines only cause stress for fishes.

If you had fungus, you should medicate the sick fish as soon as possible in another tank. (Why medicate healthy fishes?) Waterlife Myxazin probably helps or Tetra FungiStop. And as you know, don't put AquaSafe (which makes water better) in a tank, when using medicine (read instruction carefully).

Protozin will probably help too, but it's more for parasites. I don't like the politics which Waterlife practises: They don't tell what kind of chemicals those every products contain. I asked them about it couple months ago and they told me, that this moment they will not tell what those product contain )*. So you can't be sure, which medicine is right/better and suitable. Tetras has FungiStop which is for treatment of fungus.

)* And it's very inconsiderate to be not to tell about products. Think about it; If you get the medicine in your eyes and you have to go to a hospital, they don't know what chemicals they should remove and how to treat it.

Really concerned about other fish - as some are over 5 years old.

Use always quarantine tank - quarantine is important part of whole aqua-hobby.

I agree with everything Mr V has said. You should be very careful before bunging any medicines in a tank (with the exception possibly of Melafix, since that's pretty well harmless as far as I can tell), and only treat if there are frank signs of infection.

Yes, you do need a hospital/quarantine tank.

I don't always use a quarantine tank myself because sometimes I've found the extra stress of moving the fish makes the situation worse. However, this is a risk and not necessarily to be recommended (OTOH, I do get my fish from an excellent LFS who I trust). I don't automatically use a hospital tank either, depending on the problem. Ick, for instance, I tend to treat the whole tank. But if one or two fish are unwell in specific ways (I have a fish with dropsy in there are the moment, for instance), I definitely use a hospital tank. My earliest hospital "tank" was actually an orange bucket with a sponge filter and a heater in it - it doesn't have to be a fancy set-up.

Methylene Blue is excellent for fungal infections and ick, and a useful aquatic disinfectant. However, it is toxic to filters and if you are not careful, you could crash you tank (i.e. cause it to have to cycle again). I wouldn't recommend it to a newbie. Stick to safer meds - I use the Interpet range. They are generally safe and are supplied with good instructions.

Your proper procedure should be to set up a quarantine tank, using matured filter media (keep the sponge filter in your main tank for a week before), water from your main tank and a couple of cheap plastic plants. Put your new fish into the tank in the usual way and observe them for about 10 days. You can put a little Melafix in there if they show signs of anything worrying. Another advantage is that you can treat with salt, without worrying about corys or snails or whatever.

If during the 10 days, the fish seem unwell, treat with the appropriate remedy. Ick and fungus are the most likely problems. Do not move to the main tank until they are well and truely cured. If the fish are fine after 10 days, more them to the main tank, but continue to observe them closely for a little while after that.

Have just purchased a 24inch tank with all the bits. I now have a Hospital/ quarantine area.

Hopefully I will only need to use it prior to adding new fish :!

I wish I had considered a quarantine area; it is not nice losing a new fish

Thanks for the advice all

Jason

Hi Kjani17, this thread is from 2003 so don't bother responding to it :)

OMG so sorry... :(. I did not pay attention to the date I will be more careful

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back