Fry & Ich - Please Help!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

mrstwalker

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I believe I have the beginnings of an ich outbreak in my tank, nothing seems to be terrible and all the fish seem to be happy, but I would like to treat the ich if it truly is starting to develop in my tank, so there wont be any major outbreaks. 

The only problem is that I have 5 platy fry around 3-5 days old in a floating breeding box in my tank and do not currently have the means to move them into a new tank while my adult fish are treated. 

The tank is 10 gallons and I have the pre-dosed ich tablets that you just drop in the tank. Would my fry be okay if I treated the tank? Or should I wait to treat the tank until I can buy a whole new tank/filter/heater/lights ect. for the fry? I would really like not to do that, but I do need to treat my tank before the ich becomes a problem. 

I have no experience with platys or fry in general so not sure if it'd be okay or not, but thought I'd ask if you can get a picture up, just to make sure it's ich. You don't want to medicate for the wrong thing :)

Ninjouzata said:
I have no experience with platys or fry in general so not sure if it'd be okay or not, but thought I'd ask if you can get a picture up, just to make sure it's ich. You don't want to medicate for the wrong thing
smile.png
My fish dart around way too fast to get a good picture but I can describe it for you. One fish has a small white spot at the base of her tail, another fish has a white spot on the bottom of his mouth, sort of at the corner. The one with it near his mouth I believe was severely inbred in the store so his "snout" is much shorter than normal platy fish, he seems to get this white spot at times near his mouth always in the same spot so it could just be a natural marking that catches my eye from time to time, but im pretty sure that the other fish i described may have something if not ich. 

It very well could be ich, I had it once on my mollies.  As far as medicating goes the fry should be ok.   But do it slowly, maybe put in half a tablet one hour and the other half the next, if they fry aren't doing well maybe get a bucket (cleaned first of course) and put the fry in that water with some current tank water, as well as some fresh and safe water.  Then maybe try to acclimate them.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back