Fruit And Veg For Fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I can't get my platys, neons, or corys to even try a nibble of lettuce.

hi
for peas,lettuce (use romaine or kos lettuce iceberg is too fibrous) cucumber, courgette (zucchini) i put the item in boiling water for around 15mins or zap in microw for a few secs, let cool then put in tank (you can buy a suction thingy with a clip to hold the lettuce & cucmber etc) for peas you need to pop them out of their outer skin after zapping & then i mush them up & chuck them in. all out fish love this stuff even our pakistani loaches will snaffle mouthfulls of the lettuce.
be careful with giving other stuff like cheese, although fish will go bonkers for it its not good for them as apparently they cannot digest it & it could cause serious problems.

ive seen our lfs put small bits of raw potato in the tanks but our mob are not impressed with it. havent tried banana - must give it a go.

there really is no need to cook any veg for your fish. but the trade off is you need to leave it in your tank for some time. veg and fruit looses vast amounts of neutritional content and also viternins when even par cooked. thing is many fish just dont have the correct bacteria and enzimes to digest fresh veg. in nature the food would simply be left to rott, before being eaten. if you are going to cook the food your fish gets, dont bother, just feed tinned fruit and veg (be very careful on the salt content though). if your filteration is up to scratch and you have sensible stocking, leaving veg in the tank, till its all gone, should be no problem. however i do see why some people may feel uneasey about doing so.

personally i snap of cut veg in the tank, some losses of nutrients are caused by contact with air, so i do it in the water. ( i assume, though have not really looked into it, that this will keep these elements in the veg. by definition making them avaliable to the fish). some nutrients are absorbed by water, and if we part cook them these are lost in the water we throw away from the pan. so i am happy to allow them to be given up the the water in the tank, reasoning they may well be used by the fish, as the tank water passes through them.

as for what you can feed? virtusally anything that grows and is known to be safe to eat. but as someone pointed out, its your fish who will tell you the things they like!

You can add brussel sprouts to the list of things plecs like. I always peel a few leaves off the outside when we are eating them and throw them in my tank. The snails and plecs both seem to enjoy them.

I might see if mine like doner kebab tonight? :p

Usefull thread, been wondering this for a while - thanks :good:

Pauly.

Old Thread I know, but has anyone ever tried Pears in the tank? :unsure:

I put a quarter of fruit and veg in the food I used to make for my discus. So far I've given them
Apples
Pears
Spinach
Peas
Carrots
Peppers
Mango
Courgette
and if there's anything else I can't remember, but there probably is. Blended into a purée and mixed with the minced fish, and held together with either agar agar or pigskin gelatine (tried both they both work well). Every time the fish would wolf it down.

Ask yourself what fruits and vegetables these fish would eat in their natural habitat? I say put those left over bits in the compost pile and just feed your fish high quality fish food augmented with frozen[fish] foods like brine shrimp, bloodworms, etc. as treats!

The 'problem' with 'creative feeding' of fruits and vegetables as well as many 'live foods' is that they lack the nutritional balance for good health. So only feed as the occasional treat.
High quality fish foods are primarily FISH and/or aquatic plants like kelp and are fortified with vitamins and minerals. A much better food for fish.
footnote: I like vegetables as much as the next guy, just don't feel they're the best food for my fish. And frankly, neither are many commercial fish foods that use fish meal and copious amounts of grain as binder/filler. Buyer beware. Read the ingredients.

Last edited:
This is a list of vegetables and fruit that are popular with most plecs.

Zucchini/Courgette
Cucumber
Peas (deshelled)
Sweet Potato
Green Beans
Melon/Melon rind

Aubergine/Egg plant
Avocado
Broad Beans
Broccoli/Stalk
Butternut Squash+ other squash
Capsicum/Bell pepper(not the hot ones)
Cauliflower/Stalk
Carrot
Coconut
Grapes
Kale/Collard Greens
Kiwi Fruit
Lettuce
Lima Beans
Mango
Mushroom (common plecs and goldspots love mushroom)let it float,they will reach it.
Papaya
Potato
Pumpkin
Spinach
Sprouts
Swede
Tomato
Yam

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online