Fruit And Veg For Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Spishkey

Spishkeys Turtle Rescue
Reaction score
i always seem to have lots of bits of fruit or veg left over and wondered what i can give to the fish from it?

is there anything they cant have?

or is it a case of try and see what they like?

i already give lettuce cucmber and courgette, but will they eat things like potato, tomato,apple, banana, peppers, etc?

im guessing mushrooms are out as some can be poisonous!

so far ive found safe (according to websites)

peas
brocooli
green beans (for snails)
cucumber
courgette
lettuce
carrots
spinach
brown banana

So far ive tried

Banana - liked by all
Cucumber - loved by shrimps and plec
Lettuce - didnt touch
Spinach- didnt touch
Celery - didnt touch
Courgette - loved by shrimps and plec
Sweet potatoe - loved by shrimps and plec
Peppers - loved by shrimp and plec
Peas - liked by all

Also popular was fresh minced beef, shredded cooked prawns and some tinned tuna from my sandwhich , which everyone fought for! Next im going to try different fruits.

Just give it a go - if they like it they will soon let you know! :good:

So far ive tried

Banana - liked by all
Cucumber - loved by shrimps and plec
Lettuce - didnt touch
Spinach- didnt touch
Celery - didnt touch
Courgette - loved by shrimps and plec
Sweet potatoe - loved by shrimps and plec
Peppers - loved by shrimp and plec
Peas - liked by all

When you say 'liked by all' ,what exactly is all? What fish do you have ?

My RTBS like to eat boiled spinach as do my plecos and snails Do you mean you tried Bell peppers? And do you cook any of these first?

well what i'm going to do is feed them something different everyday to see what they like.
try something different!!

Be a rebal!!!! :devil:

In answer to your questions:-

I do not cook the bell peppers spinach or peas (frozen peas I dethaw and take the skins off and break up into very small pieces). The only thing I do is put the sweet potatoe into the microwave and soften for about 4 secs. I do not cook the minced beef either - make sure it is in minisule pieces so they can swallow it.

You have to remember your fish are individuals - and what mine like yours may not!

I feed the veg and fruit as a suppliment to the normal food.

The fish I have are 1 x male gourami, 2 german blue rams, 6 x danios, 1 x male guppy, 2 x male platies, 1 x bristle nosed plec, 4 x black phantom tetras and 3 x amano shrimp.

hi
for peas,lettuce (use romaine or kos lettuce iceberg is too fibrous) cucumber, courgette (zucchini) i put the item in boiling water for around 15mins or zap in microw for a few secs, let cool then put in tank (you can buy a suction thingy with a clip to hold the lettuce & cucmber etc) for peas you need to pop them out of their outer skin after zapping & then i mush them up & chuck them in. all out fish love this stuff even our pakistani loaches will snaffle mouthfulls of the lettuce.
be careful with giving other stuff like cheese, although fish will go bonkers for it its not good for them as apparently they cannot digest it & it could cause serious problems.

ive seen our lfs put small bits of raw potato in the tanks but our mob are not impressed with it. havent tried banana - must give it a go.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back